ATF: Bighorn - EZ Flex - Weld Supports on Frame

MTPockets

There are plates welded to the frame above the EZ Flex center connections on each side. Both of these plates have a large chalk X, I assume from the factory. I notice the welds are different on each one. Can you tell from the pics attached - Are these proper welds? The left side plate weld seems proper; it is welded from each end a couple inches to the center. The right side weld is continuous, but is not welded under or above the X

Attachments

• DSCN7271 Left.jpg
    DSCN7271 Left.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN7267 Right.jpg
    DSCN7267 Right.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
IMHO I do not like either set of welds. I would presume that they are there to strengthen the frame above the mounts to prevent bending of the I beam. In oreder to do the job correctly the welds should be full length.tom

MTPockets

I just noticed in my own pics that the left side U-Bracket has a weld along the frame while the right side U-bracket does not have the weld..... i wonder if it is supposed to be welded? .... How is it secured if there is no weld shown?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would be ok with the welds on the gussets. They are in place to prevent the flange of the I-beam from twistng there at the hangers.
I would not be ok with the missing weld at the one hanger though.
I would either make a call to my dealer and voice my concerns, or if that gets you no where then Heartland. You have the pics to send to either one.

Peace
Dave

GOTTOYS

Not the way I would like to it done. I would prefer a to see more welds and longer beads. Shouldn't be welded the full length as this may crack, but in my opinion the welds should be across from each other to provide good support against twisting. Easy enough to fix by any competent welder...Don

K

karykatz

According to our Engineer the welds are good- He thinks that 2 differnt welders, but they are definitely to specs. The X's represent our quality check. this sjut means that the suspension was put on and everything was double checked.

I hope this helps.

hcriddle

Kary,

It would be so easy for you guys to avoid these kinds of threads but you don't. You meet people where they are and answer their concerns and that is what will keep me as a Heartland customer for a long long time. Thanks for taking the time to address these things here. I know you guys are busy but it is this kind of care that makes it easy for us to recommend Heartland products to others.

MTPockets

According to our Engineer the welds are good- He thinks that 2 differnt welders, but they are definitely to specs. The X's represent our quality check. this sjut means that the suspension was put on and everything was double checked.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease ... I just noticed they looked different so asked about it...