Cracks in frame on 23RBS

MichaelV

I have a 2" long crack on both sides of the frame on my '17 23RBS. They are located about 2" in front of the very front spring hanger about 2" from the bottom of the frame rail, running horizontally. I don't know as of yet what is causing it. To stop the crack I took a 1/8" drill bit and drilled both ends of the crack. I plan on pulling back the coroplast and inspect the interior. I suspect there is a brace welded from one side to the other. I am going to weld a 1/4" thick plate over the spot after I grind out the crack and weld it. Everyone should do an inspection as this frame design is common with a lot of models.

Mike

Last edited:

rhodies1

Contact Heartland
They may pay for this repair. My cousin has a 2014 bighorn which developed cracks in the frame in 2019 and Heartland paid for the repair

Routemaster

Mike. Are you talking about this spot on the bottom rail where you have cracks? I would do the string test as well to see if your frame is bent.
Den.

Attachments

• I beam 1.JPG
    I beam 1.JPG
    984.9 KB · Views: 11

MichaelV

UPDATE: There is a brace that runs from one side of the frame to the other. The crack is where the brace is welded to the frame so it is racking. I have a tight turn where I back the trailer into the spot next to the garage. I bet that is when it is moving. I have to remove the coroplast sheet back to weld it because there is foam insulation in that area and that stuff goes up in a flash. I may weld in more supports at a 45. I also checked the frame with a straight edge and its not bent.

Last edited: