ATF: Bighorn - Manual retract 6 point leveling system

Francis1

Just purchased a 2017 Bighorn 3585rl fifth wheel and before I took delivery at the dealership, I had asked ,if necessary, how do I bring up the leveling system manually. They showed me the motor on top of the reservoir, but also said that the solenoids had to be disconnected prior to manual retraction. Failure to do so would result in about $700 worth of damage. I cannot find the solenoid disconnect in the LCI manual. Is this correct?

danemayer

Hi Francis1,

If there's an electrical failure, or the motor that drives the pump fails, you can spin the pump with a drill, using a hex bit. You don't disconnect the solenoids, but you do have to open the valve that controls the thing you want to move, in order for the fluid to go through the valve that the solenoid opens and closes. When finished you have to close the valve. In some cases the valves are opened and closed with a small Allen wrench. In other cases there may be a thumbscrew that you turn. Take a look at the Lippert 071 Manual Override document about half way down in this folder.

Your levelup system may not look exactly like the one pictured because there have been many versions and configurations used over the years on different models. But the principal is the same.

To the dealers warning about damage, it's never a good idea to keep the pump running after the silde or landing gear reach their limits. The pump and motor are loaded down and eventually you'll have a problem. If you spin the pump manually without opening any valves, after a while you could have damage to the pump.

Btw, with valve open, the pump gets spun either clockwise or counter-clockwise depending on whether you want to extend or retract.