Brand New 2022 Bighorn 35BH - cannot extend landing jacks

Brand new member - with a brand new 2022 Bighorn Traveler 35BK with a Lippert 6-Poing Leveling System. I'll try to explain this in as few words as possible.

Got home from the dealer, backed down my driveway and attempted to disconnect the coach. Got an "Excess Tilt" message when I tried to raise the landing jacks up enough to disengage from my truck and could not extend the landing jacks further. The angle was approximately 5 degrees, which honestly... I've seen that much at campgrounds. Moved the coach up the driveway some and tried the same from a 3-degree angle. Same situation. Finally moved it up further to a 2-degree angle and it allowed me to extend the jacks enough to disengage my truck. I then selected "Auto Level" - and the Landing Jacks retracted all of the way (the coach is darn-near on the deck) and stopped. I now cannot extend anything. When I press the "up arrow" to extend, there is a "click" - and that's it. Nothing. Tried this on battery, connected to my truck, and the on shore power with no difference. Battery indicator reads 13.0v when turned on. When I press the "up arrow" it drops to 12.7v. Tried resetting the system using simultaneous "Retract/Enter" buttons for 3 seconds with no joy. Tried calling a Good Sam Technician to talk it over on the phone, but after 3 hours of no callback, went to bed.

Appreciate any insight anyone may have!

Glad to be a part of this community. It seems pretty close-knit!!

Dahillbilly

call Lippert Support
Phone: 432-Lippert (432-547-7378)
Monday – Friday 8am – 7pm EST
Saturday: 9am – 5:30pm EST
another option is the Lippert Communities App llots of info on Lippert products there & support info

david-steph2018

Brand new member - with a brand new 2022 Bighorn Traveler 35BK with a Lippert 6-Poing Leveling System. I'll try to explain this in as few words as possible.

Got home from the dealer, backed down my driveway and attempted to disconnect the coach. Got an "Excess Tilt" message when I tried to raise the landing jacks up enough to disengage from my truck and could not extend the landing jacks further. The angle was approximately 5 degrees, which honestly... I've seen that much at campgrounds. Moved the coach up the driveway some and tried the same from a 3-degree angle. Same situation. Finally moved it up further to a 2-degree angle and it allowed me to extend the jacks enough to disengage my truck. I then selected "Auto Level" - and the Landing Jacks retracted all of the way (the coach is darn-near on the deck) and stopped. I now cannot extend anything. When I press the "up arrow" to extend, there is a "click" - and that's it. Nothing. Tried this on battery, connected to my truck, and the on shore power with no difference. Battery indicator reads 13.0v when turned on. When I press the "up arrow" it drops to 12.7v. Tried resetting the system using simultaneous "Retract/Enter" buttons for 3 seconds with no joy. Tried calling a Good Sam Technician to talk it over on the phone, but after 3 hours of no callback, went to bed.

Appreciate any insight anyone may have!

Glad to be a part of this community. It seems pretty close-knit!!
On our control panel I would have to hit a "confirmed" or "okay" button to be able to continue operation. Did this message come on?
I then can use "manual control" system to level or get close to level.

David - thanks for the response. Yes - when I got the "Excess Tilt" message, it made me confirm it with the "Enter" button. But then -- nothing.
A little troubleshooting (in the rain) this morning. The clicking is definitely coming from the solenoid. There is no corrosion (the thing is pristine - I just picked it up yesterday). The guy from Good Sam (he finally called) said I could try a mallet on the pump, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

I'm trying to learn how to test a solenoid - and am reading all kinds of posts on how to do that. Ours has three posts; one coming from a busbar with a positive cable, the other two go to each terminal on the pump - both are black. Any assistance on how to test would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a gearhead or anything, but I know how to use a multimeter.

chaplady

My level up has a inline fuse going to pump. It inline with wiring not on buss bar. I over extended once during the auto level blew this fuse. Took me a few minutes to figure it out due to it looking like power was in place

Well - these forums are for sharing information, and I really appreciate Chaplady, David-Steph2018, and Dahillbilly responding. For anyone else who searches for a similar issue, here was my problem - and the solution.

When I selected Auto-Level, the Landing Jacks retracted all the way, trying to get the coach level. Because of the angle, it could not get level but it was STILL trying because the internal level was telling it that the nose was still too high (which it was... I'm on a 3-degree grade). It kept trying and trying to go lower until it finally said it's tired of trying, and it tripped the 80A Busbar breaker that is between the battery and the solenoid. The picture I'm attaching isn't exactly like the one I have, but it's very similar and the small black tab sticking out is the breaker in the tripped mode. Upon closer inspection, it actually says "RESET" on the black tab when it's tripped. Mine doesn't have a red button, for if it had, I would have thought it to be a breaker. But when when I looked at it, I couldn't see the word "RESET" and didn't even think it was a breaker.

But now I know.

Lippert leveling systems don't like anything more than about 2.5 or 3 degrees, so I'm going to try building some long ramps/blocks to back onto, to raise the rear of the coach some to get it a little more level.

Thanks again guys.

Jim and Colleen (US NAVY Vets)
Lusby, MD
2022 Bighorn Traveler 35BK
2019 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 Longbed 6.6 Duramax Diesel

Attachments

• 766025-circuit-breaker-surface-mount-80-amp-reverse.jpg
    766025-circuit-breaker-surface-mount-80-amp-reverse.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 8

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Well - these forums are for sharing information, and I really appreciate Chaplady, David-Steph2018, and Dahillbilly responding. For anyone else who searches for a similar issue, here was my problem - and the solution.

When I selected Auto-Level, the Landing Jacks retracted all the way, trying to get the coach level. Because of the angle, it could not get level but it was STILL trying because the internal level was telling it that the nose was still too high (which it was... I'm on a 3-degree grade). It kept trying and trying to go lower until it finally said it's tired of trying, and it tripped the 80A Busbar breaker that is between the battery and the solenoid. The picture I'm attaching isn't exactly like the one I have, but it's very similar and the small black tab sticking out is the breaker in the tripped mode. Upon closer inspection, it actually says "RESET" on the black tab when it's tripped. Mine doesn't have a red button, for if it had, I would have thought it to be a breaker. But when when I looked at it, I couldn't see the word "RESET" and didn't even think it was a breaker.

But now I know.

Lippert leveling systems don't like anything more than about 2.5 or 3 degrees, so I'm going to try building some long ramps/blocks to back onto, to raise the rear of the coach some to get it a little more level.

Thanks again guys.

Jim and Colleen (US NAVY Vets)
Lusby, MD
2022 Bighorn Traveler 35BK
2019 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 Longbed 6.6 Duramax Diesel
Not familiar with the current version of level up but on ours, in that situation, I’d use the manual level function

Attachments

• 690E5A90-0E80-4A87-9465-2A81456A10D3.jpeg
    690E5A90-0E80-4A87-9465-2A81456A10D3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

david-steph2018

James were you in the Navy, what years were you there?
I was in from early 1980 to Nov 1989. At sea I was an electrician for 6 years then on shore I went to the new Security Force duty and finished at Pensacola.

Glad you figured it out and cheap fix at that as well.

James were you in the Navy, what years were you there?
I was in from early 1980 to Nov 1989. At sea I was an electrician for 6 years then on shore I went to the new Security Force duty and finished at Pensacola.

Glad you figured it out and cheap fix at that as well.
David - glad to see another good shipmate out here. I was in from 77-97 and retired as a Chief Cryptologic Technician (Interpretive). I spent most of my time either in Korea or Fort Meade (NSA). Did a lot of flying with VQ squadrons, short trips on 3 fast attacks, 1 carrier, and one Guided Missile Cruiser. All of my at-sea trips were very short 2-3 month trips. Colleen was in from 81-89 and was a Cryptologic Technician (Technical) working Classic Wizard in Maine and Adak, AK. We both loved our time in the Navy. We liken camping to heading out on deployment, sometimes! :)

Not familiar with the current version of level up but on ours, in that situation, I’d use the manual level function
Lippert has no fewer than 1,000,000 different configurations - but that does look a lot like mine. And the manual mode works great, as long as you reset any tripped breakers! Thanks for the reply.

david-steph2018

David - glad to see another good shipmate out here. I was in from 77-97 and retired as a Chief Cryptologic Technician (Interpretive). I spent most of my time either in Korea or Fort Meade (NSA). Did a lot of flying with VQ squadrons, short trips on 3 fast attacks, 1 carrier, and one Guided Missile Cruiser. All of my at-sea trips were very short 2-3 month trips. Colleen was in from 81-89 and was a Cryptologic Technician (Technical) working Classic Wizard in Maine and Adak, AK. We both loved our time in the Navy. We liken camping to heading out on deployment, sometimes! :)
Corry Station had all the CT schools in the late 80's.

I don't want this thread to go on forever... but - an UPDATE.

After taking our new coach out for our first actual camping trip - could not auto-level, despite being on relatively flat space. The problem before (I thought) was that my driveway was too steep. Well....

Come to find out - the Lippert 6-point system was INCORRECTLY IWRED. Was on the phone with Lippert Customer Service (5-star Technical Service, in my opinion) - and he walked me through moving four wires around to put them in the right places. Went back - and it worked like a champ.

To new owners who may have problems - and this may be an understatement to veteran owners - do NOT assume your coach is wired correctly. What makes me a little mad - is that the dealer (doing their pre-sale check) didn't find this. I'm going to have a few words with them.