New 2019 Bighorn 3970RD Owners (Long Post)

Texzen454

Hi everyone,

After 11 weeks of anticipation (from dealer purchase agreement to actual factory offline & delivery) we received our unit three days before Christmas. We are full-time RV'ers from TX currently working in the Eastern PA region. The unit was hotshoted from a Central OH dealer & delivered to PA. Due to work scheduling, we were unable to perform the initial walk-through before delivery. Big mistake! The unit itself is well laid-out & we are pretty much still settling in. Dealing with the new wall mounted LCD Control Panel was the first challenge in-lieu of the old style "banks" of rocker switches. We are beyond that now, the learning curve wasn't as painful as I thought it'd be :).

Our settling-in period has not been without a speed bump or two however. Upon delivery at 12:45 AM in the pouring cold rain after unhooking from the hotshot truck, we attempted to use the auto level system to begin setting up the unit. The front jacks functioned but when we hit the auto level button (the unit is sitting on reasonably level ground & with ambient temp in the approx 40 degree range), the 80 amp breaker kept tripping underneath where the pump is located. The driver & I went inside to attempt to manually level the jacks via the LCD Control Panel. Again the breaker tripped. Ok, by now...1:00 AM, who do you call for support? In mutual agreement, the driver & I both would contact the dealer first thing in the morning.

We then tried to test extend the slides in the middle of all this. The bedroom slide reluctantly extended. The remaining four slides refused. We tried hooking back up to 12v truck power & also 120v shore power. Nope, same thing. Solution: Tech contacted us in the morning. Disconnect the batteries manually via the switches & disconnect 120v shore power. Wait 15 secs or so, then reconnect. Apparently the onboard system needed to be electronically reset. We now had access to manually level the unit & extend all the slides from the LCD panel. We are still dealing with the non-working auto level function. It may be simple replacement of the 80 amp breaker which I have not had the time to troubleshoot further.

Other issues occurring during our settling-in period...stackable W/D installed by dealer. The flimsy washer drain hose was not secured to grey water riser pipe. First run of washer dumped approx a gallon or so of wash water onto bedroom floor. Pulled dryer to investigate the problem. Found drain hose laying on inside of compartment floor. Zip tied the hose to grey tank riser. It's been working fine ever since. Both hot & cold water feed hoses at the braided hose connections underneath sink island leaked after about 3 days dumping approx 2 cups of water on kitchen floor. Tightened connection, working fine now. Am running a water regulator set at 45psi. Satellite coax routing as it appears on the sticker where the water connections are, is not correct to the livingroom. Most recent issue now since the temps are dipping into the low 20's with windchill into the teens, is the lack of the Yeti Control Panel I ordered as one of the options, but cannot find the panel in the unit. I've read a slew of posts within these forums addressing the Yeti package, use/locations. I've also contacted the dealer & am in the process of trying to contact a rep at the factory. I have pics of breaker/fuse panels/wall panels that I can post documenting my search in another post at a later time if it'd help.

Anyway...enjoying this forum immensely. Ya'll present a mountain of information & at times, well needed direction & clarification. Thank you.

Joe

danemayer

Hi Texzen454,

Congratulations on the new Bighorn and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Your levelup and slideout problems/tripping the breaker could be that your batteries are not charged up. If you turn off the circuit breaker for the Power Converter or turn off shore power, you can check the battery charge at the levelup control panel by cycling through the various modes until you get to the voltage display. A fully charged battery will read 12.6V DC. Note that if the Power Converter is ON, the reading will be 13.2-13.6 V DC reflecting the Power Converter output, not the battery charge.

If you can't find a switch (or two) for the YETI option, you definitely want to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask them to check the build sheet for your trailer to see if it was actually ordered.

Texzen454

Morning Dan,

Thanks for the warm welcome & tips. I will investigate the battery charge state as you outlined in your previous thread today & post my results. Also, appreciate the suggestion concerning contacting the factory directly with VIN # in hand & build sheet relative to my trailer.

Texzen454

Sounds like a nightmare, hope you are able to get through it.

We'll make it, dealing with one problem at a time. Hard though when working 10-12 hour days, 7 days a week for the last 4 months. Only managed to get off 2 days during the Christmas holiday & that precious time was spent with my family in CT. Three & a half hour ride from here.