ATF: Cyclone - ac heat pump also?

earlh20659

I have a question regarding the ac/heat pump. My unit is a 2016 Cyclone 3110.
The ac works pretty well. i read the online user guide but I"m not certain if my unit has just ac , or ac / heat pump. Will my dometic unit function as a heat pump in mildly cool weather, or will the furnace automatically kick in if the temp requested is higher than room temperature? If if does function as a heat pump, how would you use it without having the gas furnace kick in?

maybe dumb questions, but I'm a newbie ....

Thanks very much,

Earl

danemayer

Hi earlh20659,

I believe the heat pump is an option, so if you're not certain whether you purchased the Heat Pump option, you probably have the regular A/C unit. To be certain, you'll either have to test it to see if it produces heat, or you can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They can tell you what equipment is in your trailer.

The heat pump should work down to around 40 (F) ambient temp. At outside temps lower than that, the thermostat should activate the furnace automatically.

OEFVET

Heartland only puts the heat tape in the garage AC. It works like an electric fireplace. Your thermostat in the garage should have four settings instead of three if you have it.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
According to AJ during our factory tour Heartland doesn't offer a Heat Pump as an option in the Toy Hauler line, only Heat Tape. The Heat Tape isn't meant to be the only heat source in the RV. It is only about 1500 watts ( the same as a larger blow-dryer) and is only meant to reduce chill on a cold morning (that's Dometic's description).
Personally, I think if I were ordering a rig I would order without the AC unit and have a heat pump installed by the dealer. It costs about $300 more than the AC only unit and a heat pump will provide heat down to 30F. That would reduce the need for the propane furnace to almost zero for most campers!

Did AJ say why the heat pumped is no longer an option? We looking to order the 4200 when our house sells (currently under contract) and would prefer having heat pumps. I know the 4200 had them when they first started building them. Why would they no longer offer this?

iowaone

According to AJ during our factory tour Heartland doesn't offer a Heat Pump as an option in the Toy Hauler line, only Heat Tape. The Heat Tape isn't meant to be the only heat source in the RV. It is only about 1500 watts ( the same as a larger blow-dryer) and is only meant to reduce chill on a cold morning (that's Dometic's description).
Personally, I think if I were ordering a rig I would order without the AC unit and have a heat pump installed by the dealer. It costs about $300 more than the AC only unit and a heat pump will provide heat down to 30F. That would reduce the need for the propane furnace to almost zero for most campers!
I have a heat pump in the living room of my 4100. It provides very little heat if outside temperature is below 45 degrees.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Something you might want to consider if you're thinking of adding heat pumps is the Cheap Heat electric heating unit that bolts on to the existing furnace and uses it's ducts to evenly distribute heat throughout the trailer including the underbelly. I spoke to RV's 4 Less last week and they told me that they no longer order heat pumps on Heartland or Mobile Suites units for their stock and then add the Cheap Heat unit before the sale.

Thanks for that info, Jay!!! I will check out the Cheap Heat system. It looks very interesting!!! Is anyone on this forum using this system?

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
We did eliminate the heat pump option and made the heat strip in the garage a STD feature. Most people prefer the heat strip because you can use them in colder temperatures and they are easier to use (small electric heating element that uses the A/C's fan to circulate the hot air). I have camped in our 4200 in colder weather and between the heat strip and the fireplace (additional 10,000 BTU's)it surprisingly kept the unit nice and warm.