ATF: Cyclone - Interior Lights

B-N-Kusar

I almost had an epic disaster. all of the interior lights get hells fire hot one of my children left the one on in the basement area and the plastic exterior mat was too close the result was the light lens and the mat melted and were moments from catching fire. I have already spoken to the dealership about this. Is this standard on all heartlands. Very poor choice in my opinion for lights the possibility of fire is huge.

jnbhobe

they are the same on all our ves no matter who makes it the best thing to do is be careful of where you put things

porthole

Retired
On the way to Goshen for the 2011 rally we nearly had a fire in our front cap from one of the light fixtures.

Wasn't the fault of the light, wasn't the fault of the trailer.
"Someone" had stuffed bedding stuff in a little too tight. The light got turned on and by the time we found it it had already started to melt and char the linens.

That was fixed with a "discussion" and a new LED fixture motion on fixture.

In my career I have been to dozens of fires that were caused by light fixtures.

Only the halogen pole lamp type of light ever had corrective action. Believe it or not, halogen pole lamps and Nerf balls caused quite the commotion with the feds. The result was lower wattage bulbs and guards over the bulbs.

tgreening

Or you could get a panicked call from you wife that there's a funny smell in the kitchen, there is smoke coming from the main breaker box, and rush back to find your main breaker looks like this...

http://

because it was installed incorrectly from the factory.

tgreening

Installed incorrectly how?

The breaker box has metal "fingers" that are supposed to press in between the contacts in the breaker. The breaker on the left still has it's contacts. The finger slides between these. The finger for the seriously torched breaker was bent up and instead of being pressed between the contacts it was laying on top of the contacts. Good enough for an electrical connection, but obviously not a good connection. This last trip was down in Florida, and it was hot, so the camper had two A/Cs going, some fans, etc etc. A/Cs ran pretty much non-stop for a week.

Bad connection, high draw, excess heat, melted breaker. Surprising thing was it was actually functioning right up till I shut it all down at the post. I can't believe it never popped. When I pulled it out it was hot as a firecracker, and the contacts dumped out into the palm of my hand. My first thought was "chinese piece of junk", but turns out it was a Cutler/Hammer breaker and last I knew they were quality pieces.

I bought a new breaker, bent the finger back where it should be, popped that sucker in, and it ran cool as can be for the rest of the trip. Another week of 24/7 A/C and fans, etc and it never got beyond room temperature.

oscar

Surprising thing was it was actually functioning right up till I shut it all down at the post. I can't believe it never popped.

Not really surprising. The current never exceeded what is needed to pop it. The problem was that in this configuration the current was enough to generate the excess heat. (Limited contact surface). I'm filing this one in a special place......And, once in a while put my hand on the breakers when both AC's are running.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Incondencent light bulbs get very hot.....ever touched one in a lamp in your S/B's?? Had one stay one and melted the lens and the bag for our easy-up. Fixed that problem....moved them to the ceiling in the basement. Problem solved.

whp4262

I just changed all of my interior lights to warm white LEDs. Dropped the amp draw with all the lights on from 8 to 2. The warm white matches the color of the incandescent lights pretty close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remoandiris

I just changed all of my interior lights to warm white LEDs. Dropped the amp draw with all the lights on from 8 to 2. The warm white matches the color of the incandescent lights pretty close.

How much did the conversion cost and where did you get them?