ATF: Cyclone - Is it that more expensive.......

oscar

To put something in right?

I had a leak in the big slide side wall. Paneling under the window getting mushy, carpet wet. The first logical step is the window. Removed the inside bezel and was able to remove the window with two fingers. The 1/2" foam strip must have been laid by a drunk sailor, and from the dirt trail it was clear where the water was coming in, in spite of the goop fest at the top of the window.

The foam strip is barely adequate, but it needs to be laid accurately otherwise it doesn't cover the, rather generous, rough opening.

This was done by someone who didn't know, or didn't care. Both is on you.

With the same materials it could have been done right. I did it better, with a 1" black butyl tape, after hours of cleaning the window flange.

Are my other windows done the same? Just because I don't see water doesn't mean it's not coming in. Who knows what's going on inside the walls. Do I now have to take every window out?

And last but not least.....and this takes the cake, mounting a speaker with a 2-1/2 inch screw through a valance into the side of it's case? REALLY?

I'll probably get censored for Heartland bashing here, but by ANY standard what I found today is unsat.

I ask the question again, would it have been THAT expensive to do it right? I think we all know the answer.

SilverRhino

To put something in right?

And last but not least.....and this takes the cake, mounting a speaker with a 2-1/2 inch screw through a valance into the side of it's case? REALLY?

When our Big Country was built, whoever was doing the cabinet installs had a nail apron full of 2 inch screws. When he got around to installing the hinges on ALL the cabinet doors he just decided to use the screws he had! After reaching into a cabinet and tearing a 4 inch gash into my arm, I replaced all the screws with proper sized ones. So obviously the guy working on my 2010 model was still around to work on yours in 2013!

oscar

wow, that is scary to hear. Is the floor in that slide O.K?

Yes. The leak was not given enough time to deteriorate anything. It takes a neglected water problem to cause rot over time. How long depends on the material.

- - - Updated - - -

When our Big Country was built, whoever was doing the cabinet installs had a nail apron full of 2 inch screws. When he got around to installing the hinges on ALL the cabinet doors he just decided to use the screws he had! After reaching into a cabinet and tearing a 4 inch gash into my arm, I replaced all the screws with proper sized ones. So obviously the guy working on my 2010 model was still around to work on yours in 2013!

Same guy that stripped all but a few screws on the fenders.