ATF: Cyclone - Mounting TV CY 4000 Bedroom

xcop524

I am mounting a TV in the bedroom of the Cyclone CY 4000 and noticed that the backer plate is indicated on the wall above the dresser but was wondering how much screw can be placed into the wall without going to deep. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mizmary

The entire exterior wall is no thicker than 2 inches. It is a sandwich of 1/8" paneling on inside, about 2" styrofoam and about 3/8" of fiberglass/plywood/etc. on the outside edge. So- the backer board is a board that takes the place of some of that styrofoam.

Someone else will probably chime in with how thick the backer board is. But don't use any 2" or 3" screws. 😜

oscar

The entire exterior wall is no thicker than 2 inches. It is a sandwich of 1/8" paneling on inside, about 2" styrofoam and about 3/8" of fiberglass/plywood/etc. on the outside edge. So- the backer board is a board that takes the place of some of that styrofoam.

Someone else will probably chime in with how thick the backer board is. But don't use any 2" or 3" screws. 

I think you're being generous. Although I have not actually seen my Cyclone wall, many years of replacing windows and drilling holes taught me that on most campers the inside wood is no more than 1/8" and the outside only a thin gelcoat more. Most of it is foam.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
In my 2013 Heartland Trail Runner . . .

The sticker on the wall in the living room was spot on for mounting the TV wall mount . . .

But in the bedroom, the sticker on the wall was at least two feet off from where the backer plate was really installed.

Needless to say . . . I have a couple of holes in the wall that shouldn't be there . . . :confused:

Mizmary

We just drilled through the wall twice in the last month- but since it wasn't me doing the drilling, I could be wrong. It could be 1/8" or 1/4" on the outside as well.

Our sticker for our washer dryer hole was also WAY off. We did our research on the other hole and checked at night to ensure where the framing was.

The key is, check for the solid sound of the backer board, or call heartland for sure. And don't be too upset if you drill and need to redo because the sticker is in the wrong place. 😜

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We just drilled through the wall twice in the last month- but since it wasn't me doing the drilling, I could be wrong. It could be 1/8" or 1/4" on the outside as well.

Our sticker for our washer dryer hole was also WAY off. We did our research on the other hole and checked at night to ensure where the framing was.

The key is, check for the solid sound of the backer board, or call heartland for sure. And don't be too upset if you drill and need to redo because the sticker is in the wrong place. 

I did check the wall and it felt like the backer plate was there . . . but the drill proved me wrong.

Mizmary

It's hard to tell. We thought we had the drill in the right place too. It's a crap shoot in these things.