ATF: Cyclone - Slide Seal Pulls

Noles4evr

Does Heartland use slide seal pulls that when the slide extends, the tab makes sure the slide seal extends to ensure no water entrance. If no slide seal tabs are installed and water was to enter the camper would this be considered a manufacturer defect? I feel that a simple oversight or neglect from an engineering standpoint should qualify for a goodwill assistance with a camper 9 mo out of warranty that has suffered delamination of a side wall related to water entry from this issue. The dealer technician in Knoxville, TN has deemed the entry to be such. What avenues do I have for assistance from Heartland for goodwill fix on my particular unit? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Garypowell

One never knows until you ask. I have seen them grant a lot of out of warranty requests and deny others. I think it relates to how you ask and who takes the call. Don't fully understand how a seal not flipping would allow water intrusion but you are the one with a technical opinion. One approach is to point out that the damage started to occur before the warranty expired.

danemayer

Hi Noles4evr,

I think Heartland may have added seal flippers to some models in the recent past but I'm not sure which models or when. Here's a link to a discussion from April 2014. It might be that this improvement came after your unit was built, or perhaps was not applied to your model. Not all improvements are implemented from top to bottom across the product line.

The part number is 31107, and is $1.377 a linear foot

So I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Will they send them to you for free? You might ask, but you might also want to refrain from describing a feature improvement as a design defect. If you want someone to help you, starting the conversation with an insult might not be the best strategy.

In any case, it sounds like it wouldn't cost very much if you have to buy the flippers. Probably well under $20. I think some people have installed locally purchased molding with a lip to do the same thing, probably for less than $20.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm always checking my slide seals once we arrive, and even with slide seal flippers installed myself, they don't always flip. That's why I found an extra awning rod to facilitate the slide seals are always flipped. In hard rains (3.5" in one night), we still got some minor leaks around the seals. I don't think there is a "fool proof" seal.

I will add that a pleasant, non-accusatory conversation with HL may help you. All you can do is ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk