ATF: MPG - tires

Read all the post about bent axles and it seems we have no recourse to do anything about it but deal with it. You would think that Heartland would stand behind what they make and who they buy parts from to make their RV's.
What happen to the old days when companies stood behind their products?
We had our axle bent and it is back to one tire on drivers side wearing out on the inside of the tire.
Merkdude

bigmaho

I called a couple of Heartland Dealers, but both said if I didn't buy from them they won't do warranty repairs (which does NOT speak well for the RV industry... manufacturers should require their dealers to do all warranty service!). But just as I was about to call the dealer almost 300 miles away I received a mailer from Camping World saying they've opened a new dealership only 60 miles from me. Called them up and made the appointment to bring it in Nov 17. News to follow....

plumber54

I took my rv to a local dealer that is no longer a heartland dealer and they had no problem with doing the fix under the warranty. Some places know the value of good costomer relations. I will continue to do busness with them.

bigmaho

hmmmm, just heard from the dealer. Heartland told them there was nothing wrong with the axle. Trying to get a hold of them to find out why the tire is bowed out and going bald on the inside. Not sure how they came to this conclusion. mpg tire.jpg News to follow once I talk to Heartland (left messages so far).

kb0zke

You took your trailer to the new dealer on Saturday, 17 November and got it back today, 17 December, and there is nothing wrong?! That obviously isn't right. It looks to me like the trailer is running only on the inside edge of the tire, and the tire isn't quite parallel to the track.

As I see it, you have only a few options. Your first one is to talk to someone at Heartland, and it sounds like you are working on that. Second, you can find a shop in your area that can properly diagnose and repair the problem. If you have that information when you talk to Heartland they might authorize that shop to make the repairs. If not, you would have to pay for it yourself, but at least it would be fixed properly. Third, you could take it back to the selling dealer. Of course, if you don't know that they can do any better than the one you had look at it, that may be a waste of time and money. A poor fourth option would be to buy a new tire, knowing that it will be destroyed, and head to the factory to have them fix it. The cost of the tire and the trip would be at your expense. The only advantage of this option is that it wouldn't void the warranty.

Good luck.

bigmaho

Thanks Dave,
Pretty much doing all you mentioned. I just spoke to Jamie at Heartland and emailed him the picture. He thought it might have been overloaded but if so the stock rig is heavier than they say. At most I had a full tank of water, an extra marine battery (partially to add hitch weight to reduce sway), groceries, some clothes and sleeping bags. Nowhere near the 800+ lbs it's supposed to be able to carry. Guess I won't carry as much water in the future! And I wish I could let the original dealer handle this, Green Star Camper in Rapid City SD was great, but I'm 2000+ miles away. I'll update my post as tis gets resolved. All the best for the holidays!
Billy

bigmaho

Spoke to Heartland. They said it looks like the tire was underinflated. I'm skeptical, but I'll pick it up from the dealer and see how it does. They logged the complaint, so if it happens again at least they'll have a record that it wasn't the first time. Thanks for your responses and all the best for the holidays.
Billy

jimtoo

One edge worn=alignment problem, both edges worn=under inflated, center worn=over inflated. That is unless you go around in circles at a pretty good speed.. then you could wear one edge. :)

bigmaho

Going around in circles all right. Picked up the rig un-repaired today. Both me and the dealer know I'll be back. Guess I have to wait for the axle to totally fail before Heartland or Lippert will fix the problem.

bigmaho

Even I'm nice Christmas week :)

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a shout.
All the best for the holidays!

bigmaho

Update. I contacted Lippert. They asked for photos and the serial number of the axle. Within an hour they wrote back authorizing the replacement, So back to Camping World. My thanks to Lippert for good customer service!
All the best for a happy and healthy 2013.
Billy

kb0zke

Glad it is all turning out well for you, Billy.

I know that Heartland monitors these forums, and they do pick up ideas from them. I would hope that this thread would tell them that those of us who have purchased a new trailer (or motorhome, for that matter) should not be expected to deal with all of the various component vendors. If Heartland's name is on the outside, then they should stand behind the whole unit. They can then go to Lippert for reimbursement, but for the entire period of the warranty Heartland should be the point of contact.

Another requirement should be that any authorized dealer must take care of warranty work in a timely fashion. The auto industry can do that, so why can't the RV industry? We've lived here 15 years, and in that time I've purchased only one vehicle from the only dealer in the county. I generally take my cars to an independent shop for work I can't do myself, but when I do go to that dealer I'm treated courteously and I'm scheduled as soon as possible.

I've not had the experience of having to take our mpg to anyone but the dealer who sold it to us except for an emergency propane hose replacement while at the Rally in 2011, so I don't know what other dealers would do if we showed up. Our dealer seems to be willing to take any customer, whether or not they bought from them. That ought to be the norm, not the exception.

Off my soapbox now.