ATF: Road Warrior - RW 420

porthole

Retired
The 2013 turbos were supposedly too small and fell short at altitude, but I was never above 8K elev.

2011-2014 model years had the "two stage - single turbo" It allowed faster spool up with a minimal loss of top end power. But it fell short because of overall size above 8000-10000 feet.

That is why all the "us versus them" videos were done at an elevation above 10000 feet. The Ram and DMax had an advantage due to turbo diameter in those altitudes.

I would grow weary driving a truck with 4.30 gears, for an every day driver, just to have a little extra oomph going up an occasional mountain pass. The 350/3500 DRW's w/ 3.73's will easily handle any Heartland product, currently in production.

Not sure how I would like the 4.30's for every day either. Unfortunately, the days of ordering your vehicle with the axle ratio of choice are long gone. With Ford, if you want 3.73's you have to stay with the 350. If you want a 450 you have to have 4.30's.

Sure wish they would compromise with 4.10's.

And, if you want the benefit of the wide track front axle in the 350 that became available for 2015, you are stuck with the 4.30's

scottyb

I have been getting 13mpg in the city with 4.30 gears better than I got with 3.55s

When I occasionally drive our F550 flatbed w 4.30's, it sounds to me like it is wound up at 70+ mph. That truck has a 19K GVWR and tows a 26K gooseneck trailer, and can justify the 4.30's. I just don't think 4.30's are necessary for these 5th wheels, unless that is the sole purpose of the truck.

lwmcguir

When I occasionally drive our F550 flatbed w 4.30's, it sounds to me like it is wound up at 70+ mph. That truck has a 19K GVWR and tows a 26K gooseneck trailer, and can justify the 4.30's. I just don't think 4.30's are necessary for these 5th wheels, unless that is the sole purpose of the truck.

We have a fleet of Fords including a F550. Have to agree with you. I don't like to turn the engine over more than necessary. Towing with the 550 we are at 2400 versus 1600 with the 3:55

kjm1970

So I went to Ford and settled on a F350 Dually Lariat with all the bells and whistles. I am partial to Ford I guess. 26500lb towing will do me just fine. :)

Power-Stroke

So I went to Ford and settled on a F350 Dually Lariat with all the bells and whistles. I am partial to Ford I guess. 26500lb towing will do me just fine. :)

I think you're going to be happy with that combination. I have a 15 F350 and it pulls my 4200 with no problems.
Jay

kjm1970

How is the braking with it? I am thinking of going to disc brakes on the trailer, your thoughts?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Kjm1970, I don't have a RW but I did install disc brakes on my Bighorn.
They are awesome.

JMHO.

Peace
Dave

Power-Stroke

kjm1970-
You will not have any issues stopping with the 350. In my opinion, the braking on the truck is very good and the brakes on the trailer are adequate. I will be upgrading to disk brakes (and probably independent suspension) soon. I've never towed a trailer with disk brakes, but everyone that I know (and trust) that has them says they would never be without disc brakes..... ever! During my research, I have found the folks at MorRyde are a great resource if you're interested in learning all of the benefits of disc vs drum. I have never purchased directly from MorRyde, but I have heard their customer service and installation are world class!

P.S. I see you have an Automated Safety Hitch. I know Joe Jamieson is a very strong proponent of disc brakes on a trailer.... for what it's worth.

Good luck.
Jay

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One more thing worth noting is that if you are mechanically inclined and feel comfortable tearing your new RW apart, the disc brake upgrade is not a very difficult DIY job.
And a good way to save about six or seven hundred bucks.

Peace
Dave

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
I tow a 4200 with my 2015 GMC 2500HD it tow's great and stopped very well. The 350 will be more than enough and will handle the load well.

thanks,

AJ

Imurphy

I tow a 4200 with my 2015 GMC 2500HD it tow's great and stopped very well. The 350 will be more than enough and will handle the load well.

thanks,

AJ

Holy He!! please let me know where you are traveling so I can make sure to be on the other side of the country. A 4200 is grossly exceeding the ratings of a 2500.