ATF: Sundance - Equal Flex Torque on main bolt

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
My Trail Aire EquaFlex is rubbing and wearing by rubbing on the frame bracket, near the top mounting bolt. The dealer said the bolt was too tight and loosen it. Should it be loose and allow to pivot on the bolt or should it be very tight. Secondly, there is a zert fitting, I was unable pump grease in the fitting, I took the zert out and pump grease thru it, but once I put it back in the equaflex, it would not accept grease, any is there anything that would prevent grease to go in?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would bet that most people have the same problem. Including me.
When your coach is sitting on the suspension the position of the hole in the wet bolt is up against the bushing. That prevents grease from exiting the hole.
I raise the trailer to take the pressure of the bolt. That usually works, but sometimes not. If not, I will try again after a trip, when positions change a little.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
toserviceonOctober1820121copy-1.jpgDave, thank for your quick reply. I will do what you suggest today. Now the question regarding the rubbing wear on the face of the TrailAire EquaFlex Face plate. This picture is from last year, it is showing more wear on the faceplate now. Should that bolt that holds it on top be very tight? should it be torqued? or is the Dealer correct that the wear is due to the bolt being overtighted and therefore he back off the lock nut? Thank You for any advise that you have. We will have the rig back at the dealer today for wheel bearing repack and brake adjustment, before going to Heartland Region Rally in a few days, just want to know what to say to him regarding the equal flex. Tom

danemayer

Tom,

You can probably find the torque specification for that bolt in the Lippert Axle documents.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that if the bolt going through the center hanger is allowed to rotate in the hanger, it will wear an elongated hole in the hanger. The hanger will then have to be cut off and a new hanger welded on. Don't ask me how I know this.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think it's normal. Watch this video from Mor/Ryde, which shows their product compared to others. Very enlightening to see it in action!

(BTW, I am not endorsing this product.)

Erika

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
Dan, thank you for the quick reply, I will have it check when I take it in today for wheel bearing repack and suspension inspection. so the dealer is right, if the mounting bolt is too tight, it does not allow it to pivot and it would rub on the mounting hanger.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That bolt has a shoulder on it.
So, that nut should go to the shoulder, then torqued.
I would not loosen the nut.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Birchwood

Some EquaFlex has no fittings and I have had both.The ones with fittings didn't accept grease anyway.Replaced the original EquaFlex because the rubbers were worn.The wear points you indicate on your photo may be corrected by greasing.I lube all the connectings with Fluid Film or grease and never have any wear or at least I never see it because of the lube.

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
Equa-Flex was okay, dealer with their grease gun and wheels of the ground had no problem greasing them. Yes the bolt was properly tighten. Also Heartland indicated that there was no problem given it the bolt was tight and I am able to grease them. While it was in the shop, the Wheel Bearings were repacked, I do not use the easy lubes, since I did before and it blew the seals and ruin the brakes. So I just have them packed every 8 to 10 miles. Which this year was in 10 Months. Thank you all for replying so quickly....Now we are on our way down to the Heartland Regional Rally in Temecula. Tom