ATF: Sundance - Toilet drain plugged

dstearno

I have a 2900MK Sundance. The entrance to the black sewer tank is blocked (from the toilet side). It drains liquid very slow and solids will not drain. I cannot push a stiff (but flexible) rod through it. Just my wife and I use - can't think of anything that was dropped in. Tank drains fine from outside. Is there a schematic? I'm wondering if there is a "flap" on the entrance to the tank that dried up? I can't see down that far to the entrance because of the elbow. Any thoughts on what may cause this?

jimtoo

Hi dstearno,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

We need a little more information about your setup. Have you been using it and it worked OK? Or do you have it on a long term site and/or do you leave the drain valve open to the black tank all the time?

If you have left the drain valve open, you may have built up a pile just below the toilet. There have been some occasions where the tank cutout was dropped in the tank during the build, but that just slows the drain down or plugs the valve.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi dstearno,

As Jim mentioned, you very likely have a large pile of solids that have built up. If your black tank gate valve has been leaking, even a slow leak, all the water you flush leaks out, leaving a pile of solids. Sometimes the valve can get that way if you inadvertently close it while paper is in the valve. As you push the handle, the blade compresses the paper into the blade receptacle leaving an imperfect fit.

Many of us have added clear adapters to the sewer outlet so we can see what's coming out. After you see clear water for a while, you'll have more confidence that there's nothing left in the tank or in the valve opening.

At this point you may have to carefully backflush the black tank from the sewer outlet. I say carefully because it's possible to overfill the tank causing potential messes inside, in the underbelly, and even on the roof. When backflushing, I time it with my phone. In most places, you're not going to get more than 5 gallons/minute, so 6 minutes is probably safe.

I'm using a twist-on clear adapter with backflush and external gate valve. You may find one at a local dealer parts department. Close the external gate valve and attach a dedicated black tank water hose (not your regular water hose) to the backflush fitting. Run for 5 or 6 minutes and then open the external gate valve. You may have to repeat a number of times to break up the pile in the tank.

When you think you have the problem solved, close your regular black tank gate valve. Then also close the external gate valve. Put about 5 gallons of water into the black tank through the toilet, or black tank flush (if you have one). Wait an hour to see if you have water leaking out of the black tank. If you do, the clear adapter will be full of water.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
I have a 2900MK Sundance. The entrance to the black sewer tank is blocked (from the toilet side). It drains liquid very slow and solids will not drain. I cannot push a stiff (but flexible) rod through it. Just my wife and I use - can't think of anything that was dropped in. Tank drains fine from outside. Is there a schematic? I'm wondering if there is a "flap" on the entrance to the tank that dried up? I can't see down that far to the entrance because of the elbow. Any thoughts on what may cause this?

Like Jimtoo said, we need some more info. What year is your Sundance. I know in my Silverado the toilet is right over the black tank. Always make sure your tank valves are closed. Even the gray tanks. Make sure black tank is at least 2/3 full before trying to empty and then use gray tanks to flush the sewer hose.

dstearno

Thanks folks. Here's some more info...Our Sundance is a 2012 title (mfg 2011). We bought is used last year and used several times - all working fine. We do long weekend, short trips. Prior to the plug, the transmission went out on our truck and we had to be towed. The camper sat for about 3 weeks without draining/flushing the tank. We drained and flushed just days prior to leaving on this last trip - when the toilet filled (backed up) to the bowl. Prior to leaving the campground we drained (I do use a clear adapter at the end (outside) of the drain line where the hose attaches. We flushed with the sprinkler system for about 10 minutes and then closed the valve and filled the tank about 3/4 full with water and drove home - about 3 hours. Drained again and flushed, but still see solids in the line down from the toilet. Last night I pulled the toilet and ran the rod I use to pull my awning out with down the hole and it seems to hit something really hard. Sounds like we probably do have a "solid/dried" plug. Should I get a little rougher with it, pour drain-o on it? It would be difficult to back flush as the drain pipe has 2 bends in it and also both grey water tank drain lines connect to it. Other thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Being the 2nd owner...you have no idea of how the 1st owner used the toilet. The secret to the toilet draining properly is using alot of water when you use it. If you don't, solids will built up in the drain pipe to the tank. You might try a flexable plumbers "snake" to see if you can break it up.

dstearno

Update - I pulled the toilet tank from the floor. My wife could get her arm down the hole (with a plastic sleeve on) and could touch a hard, slick surface blocking the pipe with her fingertips. I've since been in contact with service person (Greg Flint) at Heartland RV - BTW, he was awesome to work with and very helpful. I now believe there is a foreign object lodged in the pipe entering the tank. I have no idea how something could have gotten in there...Greg did send me a plumbing schematic that was also helpful. Thanks for your help.

danemayer

Sounds like the previous owner might have had grandkids. Let us know what you retrieve from the pipe.

Gary521

A rental store migt have a camera on a long extension used for inspections of hard to reach places.

brianharrison

I would try a sewer snake first - flexible braided line that has rotating action. It is a specific tool from a rental store.

It would imbed in the solid and rotate around and possibly dislodge the object into the tank. Hopefully it is small enough to pass through and out the. 3" drain.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Drop a M-80 down the commode and close the toilet valve. Kill or cure. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstearno

Update: I noticed a view of the waste pipe from the toilet inside thefront cargo hatch. There is a small,flexible panel cut out to cover it which I removed, in addition to the entireback wall of the storage area, and slid it out the opposite side (see pictures). Then both 45° elbows and connectingpipe were exposed. The connecting pipewe is 13” long.

I cut an 8” section out of the connecting pipe to expose enougharea to see down into the tank, which was still difficult. It appeared that the lower elbow was full of(formerly) dried fecal material, which I cleaned out with a coat hangarloop. I gently sprayed water into thehole with a garden hose sprayer and it continued to flush freely so I used fullforce spray and it appeared the hole was wide open. As best I could see, there seems to be some “diverter”just below the entry hole of the 3” pvc, because it’s not a straight shotdown. Or else it’s just the bottom ofthe tank – but it’s bright, glossy white in color.

I re-inserted the 8” piece of black pvc and connected with twoflexible pipe connectors (see picture). Re-attached toilet and flushed lots of water through toilet and it seemsto be flowing freely. Clear water wasexiting the drain hose outside the opposing side.