Atlanta Campgrounds????

JanAndBill

Looks like we may have to be in Atlanta (Emory Hospital, NE of downtown) for close to a month. The choices of places to stay obviously is limited. We've stayed at Marietta RV Resort previously and not a fan of the park. There's one on the east side called Stone Mountain Heights, that appears to have good reviews, and is only 15 miles from Emory. Any one have experience with this one??? Any suggestions on others?????

B

Boatman

Stayed numerous times at Stone Mountain. Very nice park. Use their web site to select what area to camp in. Enjoy.

MCTalley

We can second the Stone Mountain campground. Might check ahead for longer-term rates and availability. I seem to remember it being a bit pricey even though it was nearly empty and definitely off-season (around this time of the year).

weekender01

Looks like we may have to be in Atlanta (Emory Hospital, NE of downtown) for close to a month. The choices of places to stay obviously is limited. We've stayed at Marietta RV Resort previously and not a fan of the park. There's one on the east side called Stone Mountain Heights, that appears to have good reviews, and is only 15 miles from Emory. Any one have experience with this one??? Any suggestions on others?????

Stone Mtn Heights and Stone Mountain Park are 2 different RV campgrounds. I have never stayed at Stone Mountain Heights, but Stone Mountain Park is every good. If you stay there be careful of some of the sites as they can be very sloped.

JJC

retired Tennessee Chapter Leaders
We stayed a week at Stone Mountain Heights last September during the Yellow Daisy Festival because Stone Mountain Park was sold out. It was perfectly acceptable to us and we would stay there again. It was a surprising find to us as we had lived in Atlanta for 10 years and never knew it was there.

It's somewhat of a converted mobile home park with more RVs than mobile homes. With that in mind, the sites were very spacious and the park was exceptionally quiet. We liked being able to walk to the surrounding stores and restaurants. Off air TV and cell service was great.

It's not a social park and everyone kept to themselves. Many seemed to be working from their campers which added to the quiet nature of the park. Furthermore, we didn't use the facilities other that our FHU. There is a bath house by the pool (with laundry), but it was an older looking building and we didn't have the need to use it.

We drove the back roads from the park up past Emory and found it to be an easy drive.
Bottom line, if I was dealing with hospital visits I would definitely stay there. Stone Mountain Park is very nice but it you are going in and out a lot, it can be a hassle IMHO.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

john

jhardin

This may be too far( it will be about a 40 to 45 min. drive). McKinney Campgrounds in Cartersville is awsome. It's a corp of engineers park.No cable, no sewage, 50 and 30 amp sites. We stay here a lot for a stop over. You can reserve sites in the woods or on the water. You can use a satellite on certain sites. Just anogher suggestion if you dong like the others.

Prayers for you and your family.

JanAndBill

We stayed a week at Stone Mountain Heights last September during the Yellow Daisy Festival because Stone Mountain Park was sold out. It was perfectly acceptable to us and we would stay there again. It was a surprising find to us as we had lived in Atlanta for 10 years and never knew it was there.

It's somewhat of a converted mobile home park with more RVs than mobile homes. With that in mind, the sites were very spacious and the park was exceptionally quiet. We liked being able to walk to the surrounding stores and restaurants. Off air TV and cell service was great.

It's not a social park and everyone kept to themselves. Many seemed to be working from their campers which added to the quiet nature of the park. Furthermore, we didn't use the facilities other that our FHU. There is a bath house by the pool (with laundry), but it was an older looking building and we didn't have the need to use it.

We drove the back roads from the park up past Emory and found it to be an easy drive.
Bottom line, if I was dealing with hospital visits I would definitely stay there. Stone Mountain Park is very nice but it you are going in and out a lot, it can be a hassle IMHO.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

john

Thanks John, this park looked like it might be a solution, but without feedback from someone who had actually stayed there, I was unsure.

Garypowell

The only thing I can add is this place is on a divided highway with no turn into it from the other side of the street. They made sure I understood that when we stayed there a few years back. Certainly an OK place but a little bit of a run around to get into.

Rhyph

We live within 15 minutes of Stone Mountain Heights (and Stone Mountain Park). I can pretty much echo what's been said. It's ok, clean enough and will do for your purposes. Hwy 78 is a bit of a pain to deal with, and if you come in from 285, you will have to find a round-about way to get in. That area has quite a bit of places to shop, eat, live out of without issue and set some time aside to go see the park if you haven't been before.