Atwood Plastic Water heater drain plug

TX_Clay

I read somewhere in this forum to NOT replace the plastic drain plug on an Atwood with a Brass plug. Didn't say why. About 3 months ago, I rounded the corners of the plastic plug trying to get it off. So I ran down to the hardware store with the plastic plug and matched the threads and diameter to a brass plug. SO FAR, I have not had any issues. But I drain the HW tank after every weekend that we used it.
Any reason I should be concerned? I hated the plastic plug for the very reason of what happens to it.

rxbristol

I think you have an aluminum tank. The brass fitting could lead to galvanic corrosion.

AND galvanic corrosion/coupling is no joke. Once it sits in there will be NO way to get it loose again--it will be just like it was welded in place. I show technicians an example of galvanic corrosion (brass hose fitting to a zinc/aluminium nozzle) and state they will automatic pass the course if they can get the nozzle loose--it has never happened.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have a water hose at the house with a brass fitting at the end and it is welded to the aluminum spray head I put on it last year. Galvanic corrosion is a real pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just get some PVC plugs from a big box store. I was having a problem with the plastic plugs splitting and leaking in our Sundance. Once I replaced them witn a PVC plug I never had another problem. We use our rig at least two weekends a month year round. As a result I drain my water heater many times over the winter. The PVC plug never failed.