Aux. fuel tank install

Has anyone installed a aux tank in the bed of the 2011 GM Duramax truck with the LML engine and hooked it up to fill the main tank while you are driving? I did this on my 2004 truck but with all of the new emission stuff on the new trucks will it still work?

robnmo

Can't answer for your duramax but we've got a uniflo 92 gal w/ monitoring system in the dodge, it's a late 07 and has all the emission things, the tank works fine in ours, no problems. Hope this helps a little.

jnbhobe

should work fine, I pump mine into the fill tube with no problem. Katkens and Cookie both do the same with their chebbys.I think Dave has an electric on off valve on his.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Any suggestions on where to get a tank installed in the bed? I've also seen some online that replace the OEM tank with larger ones, but they get into four figures real quick.

jimtoo

Check out Tractor Supply or Northern Tools to purchase a tank and filler neck. Then you install it or have a local shop install for you. They are not hard to do.

Jim M

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Check out Tractor Supply or Northern Tools to purchase a tank and filler neck. Then you install it or have a local shop install for you. They are not hard to do.

Jim M

What Jim said.

Or you can contact Dan's Service Center in Elkhart, IN. They do installs about daily for transporters like myself. They would be able to answer questions about installs on these new trucks too based on experience.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't know if there are other places that provide this type of Aux fuel tank but rather than pumping fuel from one tank to another why don't you have a tank installed that has an electric valve that switches from one tank to another. American Tank has this type of equipment and can ship it to you. They are a great company and I have found that their product is quite dependable. I have had no problems.

I have the Combo Box. The have moved from Frisco TX to a larger facility. Their new location is 930 North Highway 377, Pilot Point, TX 76258 .

I suggest that you read their FAQ's . It has a lot of good information about their tanks and the laws of transferring fuel from one tank to another.

FWIW
BC

hoefler

Like said above, not the hard to do. I have installed a 75 gal L tank under my tool box in my 2010 Dodge. This is the third truck it has been in. I removed the fill neck to the factory tank and welded 1/8 pipe couplers to both the fill and vent tube. Connected the aux tank to these fittings with 5/16 fuel line. I use a pick up tube off the top of the aux tank and vent back to the aux tank as well. I use a high volume low pressure pump to transfer fuel.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looks like if I want an aux. fuel tank I'll have to rummage around the dirty clothes hamper and find my mechanic's panties. Hope the moths haven't gotten to them.

driver311

why do you need a pump????????? mine gravity feeds and had done it for 450000 mis. what am i missing?

driver311:angel::angel:

RSIG

I installed a RDS 51 gal. tank with toolbox in my 08 GMC which has emission control. I questioned if I needed to add the tank, but after a 9,000 mile trip this summer I know I made the right decision. Tank & connection can be purchased at Nortern Tool. Very easy install less than 1 hr. Feel free to e-mail should you have any questions.

Ed

hoefler

It is illegal in many states to have an open gravity flow. There has to be a shut off of some sort in line. I chose the pump because it was cheaper, I use a pickup tube from the top as not to pick up any debris or water that I might get, and I have a sight glass that I can see in my back window to monitor flow.

caissiel

I have the same setup as Hoefler explained.
I have a 12V solenoid valve set on ignition on,
and just switch it on when I want to dump in the truck tank.
Also I have a filter on the line with a bypass valve.
I have that system on the 3rd truck in 15 years, and works great.

I have the Ford system and if the gauge does not come down for a spell the light will come on
indicating trouble with the fuel system, so I installed a solenoid on this tank for the 2005.

Its complicated to have a pump system, it needs to be installed by certified tech and approved.

The top tank is fully vented by the truck cap therefore seal tight I can leave the manual bypass fully open and have no spills.
My friend has one that does not vent to the auxiliary tank and it takes forever to dump, because air gets traped in the lower tank
and the truck cap will not get rid of the excess air, it will let air in but not out. So the air out has to be at the top of the auxiliary tank.

Thanks for all of the comments! I installed the tank that I had in my 2004 truck today in the 2011 truck. I have a gravity flow set up with a 12 volt solenoid and a switch on the dash to turn on and off. I also have a manual shut off at the tank just in case. It seems like I have pressure on the truck fuel tank after driving and that was why I was asking about if any one had done this on the 2011 chevy's. I will try it out in the next month to see how it works and will post results. Thanks again. Lots of good info on this site!

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I don't know if there are other places that provide this type of Aux fuel tank but rather than pumping fuel from one tank to another why don't you have a tank installed that has an electric valve that switches from one tank to another. American Tank has this type of equipment and can ship it to you. They are a great company and I have found that their product is quite dependable. I have had no problems.

I have the Combo Box. The have moved from Frisco TX to a larger facility. Their new location is 930 North Highway 377, Pilot Point, TX 76258 .

I suggest that you read their FAQ's . It has a lot of good information about their tanks and the laws of transferring fuel from one tank to another.

FWIW
BC

I also installed the combo tank from American Tank and love it. Just flip a switch and change from stock tank to aux tank and fuel guage switches with it. Best of all the system is DOT approved in all states. Gravity feed is NOT! DOT approved in all states and if you have an accident pulling your coach or just driving your truck and create a diesel fuel spill, hazardous waste clean up costs will be charged to you. That can mean big bucks even for small spills, depending on location and EPA and the local law enforcement. Gravity feed is great until someting happens. I just prefer not to take that risk.

irvin56

Years ago, when I was running the rigs, I also just Bought an old gas tank from wreckers. Round large 50 gal tank from big rig. I just built a box in back of my truck and put tank in it. I then just ran a "t" (an electric valve) . simple, Cheap and worked great. I just ran another wire into cab for the Aux. tank guage. could see how much was in each tank always. I would run 12-15 hrs straight and fuel was hard to find in the north west territories. Also had some reserve for people whom did not have extra fuel.
I knew where last fuel was so I maxed out my tanks there.

If I did it now I would have same setup, only I would buy a fabricated tank

branson4020

Icantre Member
"I also installed the combo tank from American Tank and love it. Just flip a switch and change from stock tank to aux tank and fuel guage switches with it. Best of all the system is DOT approved in all states. Gravity feed is NOT! DOT approved in all states and if you have an accident pulling your coach or just driving your truck and create a diesel fuel spill, hazardous waste clean up costs will be charged to you..."

Does each state have its own "DOT"? I assume your not talking about the federal agency. How do I find out wher it's legal and where its not?