Awesome deal for Shell Rotella D.E.F.

szewczyk_john

Yesterday, while working on my sons Buick, I had a reason to stop into my local Auto Zone parts store. After checking out and while walking to the door, I noticed a clearance tag on a shelf holding boxes of 2.5 gallons of Shell Rotella DEF. Normally marked at $16.97 there were being cleared out for 4.97 per box. Needless to say I wiped out the shelf after the manager confirmed that there was not a pricing mistake. I checked the Chain's web site and the product still comes up but says that it is no longer available for purchase. This is a tremendous deal worth making a stop at your local store to pick some up. Just wanted to pass along the savings to those that might want to jump on the deal.

porthole

Retired
So I went to my local Advanced Auto and they didn't have any .......
Then I remembered John said Auto Zone.

4 miles the other way ... got two boxes for the $4.97 price.

Counter guy says the 1 gallon Blue DEF jugs are on close out as well.
Got two of those for $2.97 each, not as cheap but still a good price.

Thanks John.

yport

Great tip ... will check it out locally. Always get mine at Walmarts around the country for $7.95 for 2.5 gallons ... best price I find otherwise.

Pokiejoe

Thanks for the heads up on the DEF, got 3 jugs here and that's about 1/2 price for us. Will definately pass the word on.

Mark-Roberta 051995

I just called my local AutoZone and they have about 30 boxes for this price:

$14.99 - buy 2 and receive a $10 Visa gift card / 6-8 weeks later

$29.98 plus tax @ 6% = $31.78

$31.78 - $10 gift card = $21.78 for two

$10.89 each for 2.5 gallons

$4.35 per gallon = to expensive

How come Kentucky does not have these type of deals?

DEF at the truck stops in bulk is at $2.67 per gallon

szewczyk_john

I just called my local AutoZone and they have about 30 boxes for this price:

$14.99 - buy 2 and receive a $10 Visa gift card / 6-8 weeks later

$29.98 plus tax @ 6% = $31.78

$31.78 - $10 gift card = $21.78 for two

$10.89 each for 2.5 gallons

$4.35 per gallon = to expensive

How come Kentucky does not have these type of deals?

DEF at the truck stops in bulk is at $2.67 per gallon

This is the price in the current sales ad. The price I posted about was for the Shell brand which was not advertised but rather just a clearance sale

mthompson

I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe I read somewhere that there is a shelf life on DEF and it's not good to use it if it's expired. Does anyone else know more about this?

rick-99

The following is found at link to Cummins Engine Blog below

http://blog.cumminsengines.com/

Q: What’s the shelf life of DEF?
A: That depends on the temperature of your storage facility. If you’re going to keep DEF in a climate-controlled environment at or below 77°F (25°C), it should keep its full potency for up to two years. If the temperature varies between 10°F and 90°F (-12°C – 32°C) or the DEF is exposed to sunlight, the shelf life will be reduced – but it should always last at least one year from the date code imprinted on the label. When tested at a constant temperature of 95°F (35°C) for more than six months, DEF meeting the IS0 specifications retained its correct formulation, so shelf life should not be an issue.

mthompson

The following is found at link to Cummins Engine Blog below

http://blog.cumminsengines.com/

Q: What’s the shelf life of DEF?
A: That depends on the temperature of your storage facility. If you’re going to keep DEF in a climate-controlled environment at or below 77°F (25°C), it should keep its full potency for up to two years. If the temperature varies between 10°F and 90°F (-12°C – 32°C) or the DEF is exposed to sunlight, the shelf life will be reduced – but it should always last at least one year from the date code imprinted on the label. When tested at a constant temperature of 95°F (35°C) for more than six months, DEF meeting the IS0 specifications retained its correct formulation, so shelf life should not be an issue.

Well, there you go. I'm glad to know that info, and not just hear say. I keep mine in the bed of the truck with a cover (except when towing) but the temps vary depending on location and time of year. I never have it very long so unless it's old when I buy it, it should be fine. Thanks for the info.