Awning supports

John T Bettencourt

About the only thing you can do is put tie down straps on it. If it is a power one I would not advise to do it. Just not made strong enough.

mlburst1

We spend six months in Florida in the winter and leave our power awning out unless severe winds are forecast.

I used schedule 40 PVC pieces to create two "patio legs" for our Carefree awning - spent about $120 total but well worth the peace of mind. The straps that anchor the legs down place all of the stress on the legs - no pressure on the awning hardware.

A friend made similar legs using two manual awning arms he got from a RV dealer and welded saddles on top to cradle the roller tube and flat bases on the bottom.

Sundance_020316 (1).jpgSundance_021316 (1).jpgSundance_021316 (2).jpg

asherwin

Mike, like your supports. What did you use at the top to cradle the roller and how was it connected to the PVC?

mlburst1

Alan,

I used 4-in x 4-in x 3-in dia PVC Sanitary Tee Fittings with the top part and ends cut off - makes a perfect saddle for the awing roller. A pair of reducing bushings allows the 3" opening of the T to fit onto the top telescoping pole.

The telescoping poles are 1.5 and 2.0 inch Schedule 40 PVC - I bought a ten-foot length of each and cut each in half - the inner section has a series of through-holes drilled every 1 inch for adjustability - the outer section has a through-hole - a pin goes through the holes to set height depending on awning height and ground level.

The base is a bushing fitted into a 4 inch aluminum foot.

All of the PVC is Schedule 40 PVC.

Ratchet straps are looped around the the outside part of the T-fitting and cranked down firmly to anchors in the ground.

I'm not sure how long the Schedule 40 PVC will hold up to the Florida sun but time will tell...

Mike

Last edited:

Jacknel

I designed brackets out of aluminum. Clamp brackets (fit loose) over ends of awning roller. Buy 2 - 10' lengths of 3/4" threaded pipe and screw one end into the bracket. Cut the other end 2" above the ground, drill a 5/16" hole 1" from end and bolt to feet. Either lag feed to patio or if on grass use a tie down strap.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

SNOKING

We bought a couple large C-clamps at the Mesa Flea Market a few years back and clamped them to the outer edge of our patio slab (dig out a little) with a board on top of the slab to received the legs from our older awning(when they are off the side of the trailer and out straight down to the ground you do not walk into them!!!). The last winter we had a new site and both leg landed on the slab, so I bought two additional HF C-clamps) Then I used two ratchet straps on each end from the roller to the C-clamps to hold it down. So you have given me the plan on how to work with the new awning on the 3575el. I just have to build the schedule 40 post and clamp it down like I did before. We also have a few rebars with eyes welded on (from the flea market) to drive in the ground for the bottom of the sun screen to bungie to.

Oh NO! I have two awnings to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

mlburst1

These are the ground anchors from Home Depot that I used to attach the ratchet straps to - used a half inch breaker bar to screw them down flush with the earth.

jbeletti

Mike - what a cool awning tie down mod. Thanks for sharing. I also like those screw anchors from HD. I can see uses for those around the home yard as well.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We use The Claw for the ground anchors with cargo tie-down straps to tie down the awning. The Claw works great in sandy soil as well as clay soil.
Here's a picture of our Landmark at the beach.
IMG_1883.jpg

TX_Clay

OK, Just saw this. As soon as I get my awning parts (Left Traveler 12v arm assembly) in to fix it. This will be the next thing to build. Genius and thank you.

ndmac

Just thought I would share this little jewel for everyone.
I had to put my anchors in good hard clay and neighbor brought this over.
Built one next day. Great tool.

IMG_5115.jpgIMG_5116.jpg + anchor.jpg = EASY!

SNOKING

Just thought I would share this little jewel for everyone.
I had to put my anchors in good hard clay and neighbor brought this over.
Built one next day. Great tool.

View attachment 45537View attachment 45538

Carefull do not break a wrist with the high HP drill. The fea markets in Arizona sell rebar stacks with rings welded on the side near the top. Work great. Over lap two at right angle to each other under the sat dish stand to strap it down to. Drive others at an angle under the patio slab. Chris

ndmac

Carefull do not break a wrist with the high HP drill. The fea markets in Arizona sell rebar stacks with rings welded on the side near the top. Work great. Over lap two at right angle to each other under the sat dish stand to strap it down to. Drive others at an angle under the patio slab. Chris

Yes. Forgot to mention use caution!

I use a lower powered drill with mine.