Awning Wind Sensor??

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Tonight we were sitting on the back deck of DWs Grandmas new house and we were discussing putting a sunsetter awning on the back to go out over the deck.

Mom-in-law has one on her house but there is now the wind sensor available but we don't know anything about it. I told her that it was a new thing and you can get it on your RVs and that I would ask my Heartland Friends.

So, do any of you guys have the wind sensor?

If you do, how does it work and what are the Pros/cons?

Thanks in advance

CliffP

We've talked about this one and it would be nice to have. The awning on our last TT was taken out by high winds. It would need to involve some type of anemometer that might as well be a part of a weather station (that would also be nice to have on the RV).
That is all we've come up with during "campfire" talk.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have one on our Landmark. It is mounted on the roof of the RV. We have had it replaced once. It seems to work ok and will close the awning in higher winds as well as a high gust.

RollingHome

I looked at the hot link Dan sent. It is not an anemometer. It is a rectangular cover closed box. It looks like it is mounted on the rail furthest from the wall or mounting point. My guess is it’s a solid state device that detects “too much” motion up and down. As we all have experienced, when our awnings are out and the wind starts kicking the outer most horizontal rail starts the up and down motion. It lets us know, it’s time to rewind. I’ll bet some clever engineer found a way to detect too much vertical movement (SS accelerometer comes to mind) and we have an excess wind sensor. This is just a guess on my part. Take a look at the photo’s maybe you have another idea.