Awning

fruopoli

Thanks for the reply. I just check out the awning pics on the website. I don't want to sound negative, but it does look awkward and very time consuming to set up and take down. I wish they would have come out with something a little more simple. Something that would just give a little shade and mount right to the side with ease.

brains77396

Go to the Heartland MPG site at the the top of the MPG Forum opening page. Click on Floor plans / Gallery. Then select Special Features and there are several photos of the awning.

mcota

I'm pretty ticked off!!! Received the awning and found out it had to be installed. Pulled the MPG 2.5 hours and was told it was the wrong size. They assured me is it would be in in a couple of days. That was almost 2 weeks ago. We have a cross country trip planned and were really counting on the awning. To top it off, the slide-out isn't sealing when pulled in and they haven't got a fix from the factory yet. Buyers remorse is setting in.

DW_Gray

I'm pretty ticked off!!! Received the awning and found out it had to be installed. Pulled the MPG 2.5 hours and was told it was the wrong size. They assured me is it would be in in a couple of days. That was almost 2 weeks ago. We have a cross country trip planned and were really counting on the awning. To top it off, the slide-out isn't sealing when pulled in and they haven't got a fix from the factory yet. Buyers remorse is setting in.

I know how you feel. A similar thing happened to me when getting a awning warranty replacement. They sent one (important) wrong size part. The quality of customer care appears to be nonexistent at times. They certinly don't give a hoot about shipping in a timely manner. I especially think when they screw it up the first time, they should as a minimum have the part(s) delivered within 48 hours at their cost. And if I were the company owner, my policy would require employee who screwed it up to pay the unnecessary extra cost out of his or hers paycheck.

KJR

I don't have an MPG ( I wish I could find somewhere that rents them) but if I had one I would use my 10x10 collapsable awning. It folds up and and goes into a storage bag. I bet it would fit into the pass through storage compartment. It has a metal frame and you can extend the awning to several heights and can secure the four legs with stakes. They run less than a $100 at most sporting goods, WalMarts etc.

brains77396

We just used what you described for the last three days. Easy up, easy take down and best of all, the freedom to place the thing where you need it the most. We had ours over the picnic table. As far as the dome awning, where we were, Huntsville TX State Park, there was no room for a dome awning. Heck, the picnic table was on the drivers side of the trailer. We did find that with the plastic adapters, a 12 foot rope light fits perfectly where the dome track is. Looks and works real nice at night.

I don't have an MPG ( I wish I could find somewhere that rents them) but if I had one I would use my 10x10 collapsable awning. It folds up and and goes into a storage bag. I bet it would fit into the pass through storage compartment. It has a metal frame and you can extend the awning to several heights and can secure the four legs with stakes. They run less than a $100 at most sporting goods, WalMarts etc.

M

Mcreech

Go to our web site heartlandrvs.com and look under the pic section on the MPG...Its there.....Or you can goto our facebook page heartlandrvs MPG

ptarthur2

I purchased the dome awning that is shown on the Heartland website for the MPG RV however there has been some confusion about getting it installed by my dealer and some apparent difference of opinion at Heartland about if this awning should be installed on my MPG camper at all. I called the customer service number at Heartland and spoke with someone there that has actually installed this dome awning and they told me that all the dealer has to do is drill 16 holes in the side of the camper and insert the snap grommets that are used to fasten the back of the dome awning to the camper. Howerver when my dealer called and spoke to a different individual at Heartland they advised that the holes should not be drilled in the side of the camper due to concern about moisture getting inbetween the wood backing and lamitent of the siding. When my dealer asked why is the awning is advertised as an option for the MPG camper if it's not recommended that it be installed they were told that sometimes the marketing people get ahead of the design people.

This situation is very frustating.; I bought a new MPG camper and paid considerablly extra for an awning that is specically advertised to fit the camper only to find that it is reportedlynot recommended to be installed. If anyone at Heartland could please shed some light on this I would certainly appreciate it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I purchased the dome awning that is shown on the Heartland website for the MPG RV however there has been some confusion about getting it installed by my dealer and some apparent difference of opinion at Heartland about if this awning should be installed on my MPG camper at all. I called the customer service number at Heartland and spoke with someone there that has actually installed this dome awning and they told me that all the dealer has to do is drill 16 holes in the side of the camper and insert the snap grommets that are used to fasten the back of the dome awning to the camper. However when my dealer called and spoke to a different individual at Heartland they advised that the holes should not be drilled in the side of the camper due to concern about moisture getting in between the wood backing and laminate of the siding. When my dealer asked why is the awning is advertised as an option for the MPG camper if it's not recommended that it be installed they were told that sometimes the marketing people get ahead of the design people.

This situation is very frustrating.; I bought a new MPG camper and paid considerably extra for an awning that is specifically advertised to fit the camper only to find that it is reportedly not recommended to be installed. If anyone at Heartland could please shed some light on this I would certainly appreciate it.

ptarthur2, I don't want to get in the middle of a he said, they said situation between the dealer and Heartland. I also don't know exactly how the awning attaches to the MPG. I have installed my own window awnings and drilling into the sidewall is the only option and I've never had an issue. I drill the hole, use a bit of caulk in the hole prior to installing the screw. Once the screw or snap is in place, clean off the excess caulk and you should have no future issues. One question! Are installation instructions included with the awning packaging?

ptarthur2

Yes there are instructions with the dome awning however they were written for a pop-up camper and are very sparse. The instructions do show the snap posts attached to the side of a pop-up camper by drilling holes and securing them with a screw. I ended up using JB Weld to attach the snap posts to the side of my camper and that seems to work ok but there are a lot of gaps where mosquitoes can still easily get in. The screen skirt that is supposed to run across the bottom edge of the camper has nothing at all to attach it. There should be a C channel installed there just as there is across the top edge of the camper that holds the top of the dome awning in place. I plan to do that myself in the near future but it just seems that an awning that was specifically advertised as being "custom made" for the MPG shouldn't need all of these modifications to make it fit.