Axle Alignment - Pics - Requesting Opinions

Smitty325

While all this is valid, a separated belt can happen with little warning. You can hit a pot hole, breaking the internal bond, then as the tire ages the belts slowly move, then release without much, if any warning. The bump or raised area, could be that warning of a separation.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Abear79

I agree with the folks who think it is the tire not the coach. I had 2 blowmax explosions on my coach. I kept them clean and 80psi at all times they blew around 4500 miles. To confirm its the tires take a close look at them once they are off the coach. Any tire guy can show you all the broken belts in them. Good luck!!!

Smitty325

Go up one level in your load range, then they will not be forced to work so hard

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Gary521

Do not try to save money with some off brand tire. Do not let the tire guy talk you into anything. This forum only recommends a few brands of tire based upon the cumulative experience of many members. The tire guy will tell you that whatever brand he is trying to sell you is a good tire.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Do not try to save money with some off brand tire. Do not let the tire guy talk you into anything. This forum only recommends a few brands of tire based upon the cumulative experience of many members. The tire guy will tell you that whatever brand he is trying to sell you is a good tire.
I definitely agree with this. Don't buy cheep tires to save a few dollars. It will bite you in the rear later.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wdk450

Correct Track aligns axles so that they line up with the center line of the trailer king pin.Go on you tube and look at the videos that explain Correct .:rolleyes:

How does Correct Track adjust camber, caster, and toe in? It only adjusts axle frame angle. Axle tube bending adjusts all these parameters.

jnbhobe

Exactly right Bill They have to be bent to set the caster and camber I am not a fan of correct trac

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dave10a

I realize this is too much positive camber but what would cause it? I weigh the trailer frequently and we have always been well under the gross weight. It is the outside tread that is being affected. The front tire has almost all of the outside tread wore off while the rear tire still has outside tread but it is noticeably uneven wear on that strip. About 15,000 KM's on the trailer. Original tires.

See pics:

View attachment 53918

View attachment 53919

Thanks

I don’t how poorquality tires can cause uneven wear, but I do know that axle alignmentand damage can cause uneven wear. Things like bent spindle, displacedaxle, bent axle, sheared spring centering pin, broken spring, wornout spring are the usual suspects. To check for most of theseproblems once can:

Measure form thecenter of the axle spindle on each side to assure that there is nomore than ¼ inch difference to assure the axles are parallel to eachother.

Compare the distancefrom the front and back of the tires on each axle that there is nomore 1/8 inch difference to assure the spindle are not bent.

Inspect each axle toassure that they are centered on the spring to assure the centeringbolt in not sheared.

Inspect the springsto make sure they are not sagging.

Inspect the axle fora arc to assure the camber is ok.

Measure the distancefrom the king pin to the front axle to assure that there is less than¼ inch difference.

If the tires arechirping or scalloped then balancing, bearing and shock absorbed maybe the cause.

If those checks failand you have Correct Track then you have a good chance to solve theproblem.

Squirlee

Thank you all again. Yes, the tires are cheap Towmax tires but there is most definitely an alignment issue at play.

I will look at some of the brands recommended here once I have the alignment fixed.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don’t how poorquality tires can cause uneven wear, but I do know that axle alignmentand damage can cause uneven wear. Things like bent spindle, displacedaxle, bent axle, sheared spring centering pin, broken spring, wornout spring are the usual suspects. To check for most of theseproblems once can:

Measure form thecenter of the axle spindle on each side to assure that there is nomore than ¼ inch difference to assure the axles are parallel to eachother.

Compare the distancefrom the front and back of the tires on each axle that there is nomore 1/8 inch difference to assure the spindle are not bent.

Inspect each axle toassure that they are centered on the spring to assure the centeringbolt in not sheared.

Inspect the springsto make sure they are not sagging.

Inspect the axle fora arc to assure the camber is ok.

Measure the distancefrom the king pin to the front axle to assure that there is less than¼ inch difference.

If the tires arechirping or scalloped then balancing, bearing and shock absorbed maybe the cause.

If those checks failand you have Correct Track then you have a good chance to solve theproblem.

I am sure you are right, for most tires. But he has TowMax. I was constantly checking our tires when we got our 5ver, because of this forum. On a 600 mile trip, we had stopped for a rest stop and I checked the tires. I noticed an irregular wear pattern on one tire, the inside edge. We had roadside assistance come and change the tire. Once we got back home, I took pictures and a video of the tire and sent them to TowMax for warranty consideration. They offered to send me a new tire.

Here is the video of ours from 2011.

https://vimeo.com/229774988?activityReferer=1

And a pic:

IMG_5019.jpg

DocMartin

Ok my last fiver with a max weight of 12k I used commercial grade LT truck tires. Firestone Transforce HT. Great tires and never had an issue in 4 years. What's is the weight of your unit? There are G load tires in your size but you would need wheels to handle the air pressure ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave10a

I am sure you are right, for most tires. But he has TowMax. I was constantly checking our tires when we got our 5ver, because of this forum. On a 600 mile trip, we had stopped for a rest stop and I checked the tires. I noticed an irregular wear pattern on one tire, the inside edge. We had roadside assistance come and change the tire. Once we got back home, I took pictures and a video of the tire and sent them to TowMax for warranty consideration. They offered to send me a new tire.

Here is the video of ours from 2011.

https://vimeo.com/229774988?activityReferer=1

And a pic:

View attachment 53959

That is a new on me. However, I would still do the suspension measurements to make certain things are OK. That wear could be contributed to low pressure and alignment problems. I have had many low grade tires in my life time and have never experienced that kind of wear from a low quality tire without having other suspension problems. However, there is always a first time for everything :)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That is a new on me. However, I would still do the suspension measurements to make certain things are OK. That wear could be contributed to low pressure and alignment problems. I have had many low grade tires in my life time and have never experienced that kind of wear from a low quality tire without having other suspension problems. However, there is always a first time for everything :)

Like I mentioned, I was meticulous about air pressure and speed maintenance. Rig was owned about a year. This was driver's side rear tire. We did end up upgrading our axles and springs not soon after, because our springs were starting to looking flat and upgraded to Dexter 7k axles. Not overweight.

However, that doesn't negate the fact that TowMax did replace the tire. That would admit some acceptance to the notion of a problem with the tire. Their MO has been to deny claims of defect.

My reason for posting was to show that these TowMax have a history of doing strange things, no matter if you maintain proper speed and inflation. Best to remove them ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirlee

I appreciate all the replies folks. A tire dealer is looking at it for me and making some recommendations.

Just to avert any argument about what is causing it (the cheap tires or the suspension) there is definitely a suspension issue with too much positive camber. The Blowmax tires aren't the cause.

The dealer also said that all the horror stories about Blowmax tires are fairly consistent across the board for ST tires which are primarily made in China. He did say that Maxxis are good tires but their Canadian distributor stopped importing them.

Further, with the actual scaled weights of my trailer he said I would be wasting money on going to a higher load rating tire.

Ironically he uses Towmax on his trailer and said they are fine for what the average rv'r does (traveling to the local campground 2 or 3 times a year).

He also said there are good LT options out there but because we travel longer distances he doesn't suggest I go that way because some jurisdictions like BC frown upon the use of a truck tire on a trailer.

He has given me some options from the cheap Chinese made ST tires all the way up to a Michellin XPS Rib (which looks pretty sweet but is also expensive as ****).

I will let you know the outcome.

dave10a

I appreciate all the replies folks. A tire dealer is looking at it for me and making some recommendations.

Just to avert any argument about what is causing it (the cheap tires or the suspension) there is definitely a suspension issue with too much positive camber. The Blowmax tires aren't the cause.

The dealer also said that all the horror stories about Blowmax tires are fairly consistent across the board for ST tires which are primarily made in China. He did say that Maxxis are good tires but their Canadian distributor stopped importing them.

Further, with the actual scaled weights of my trailer he said I would be wasting money on going to a higher load rating tire.

Ironically he uses Towmax on his trailer and said they are fine for what the average rv'r does (traveling to the local campground 2 or 3 times a year).

He also said there are good LT options out there but because we travel longer distances he doesn't suggest I go that way because some jurisdictions like BC frown upon the use of a truck tire on a trailer.

He has given me some options from the cheap Chinese made ST tires all the way up to a Michellin XPS Rib (which looks pretty sweet but is also expensive as ****).

I will let you know the outcome.

I am not a tire expert, but from what I have read and experienced, the smooth outer rib design like Good Year and Sailun uses allows for more tire feathering and compensates for some axle misalignment or tight maneuvering. That may explain why some tires that have a outer rib design like Tow Max have more problems. Just saying... as thought....

SHerrick

Let me make a suggestion, since the wear is only on the outside. Take a pole and extend it straight down from the front center of your trailer's tongue. Take a piece of wood, center it in front of one of the front tires, making sure it is exactly vertical. Pull a string from the pole to the board at exactly the same height from the ground. Mark the string. Move the board to the other front wheel and repeat the measurement. They should be the same. If it is off, then the axel is out of true. You should also measure the distance between the center of the axels on each side. I also think your tire pressure is too low. What pressure does the placard on the side of your trailer recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Squirlee

Let me make a suggestion, since the wear is only on the outside. Take a pole and extend it straight down from the front center of your trailer's tongue. Take a piece of wood, center it in front of one of the front tires, making sure it is exactly vertical. Pull a string from the pole to the board at exactly the same height from the ground. Mark the string. Move the board to the other front wheel and repeat the measurement. They should be the same. If it is off, then the axel is out of true. You should also measure the distance between the center of the axels on each side. I also think your tire pressure is too low. What pressure does the placard on the side of your trailer recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The tires and placard call for 80 psi max. My tire dealer calculated the proper PSI based on actual scale weight and it is closer to 65 psi.

BTW - anyone else here using the Michelin XPS Rib tires?

dave10a

The tires and placard call for 80 psi max. My tire dealer calculated the proper PSI based on actual scale weight and it is closer to 65 psi.

BTW - anyone else here using the Michelin XPS Rib tires?

The suggestion how to measure from the king pin is a good one as well as a good laser. If your tires are over pressured, the wear would be in the center for a properly aligned axle, and not the outside because the tire would not be running on the full tread and only the center.

carl.swoyer

Just curious, have you checked to see if the Axel's are square to the frame? If they are not your tires would have the opposite wear pattern from side to side.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk