Axle Flip on NorthTrail 24 RBS

Saildogs

We are considering flipping the axles due to the low ground clearance for the dump valves. Has anyone done this and were you satisfied with the results? Do trailers that have been modified lose value quicker than stock trailers?

The other consideration is a new trailer but we love our floorplan and have not found any others we like.

danemayer

Hi Saildogs,

One thing to consider is that when you do a modification like this, the suspension manufacturer may decide that the modification voided the warranty on the suspension. Even if you and your dealer and everyone you know is sure that the mod had nothing to do with whatever problem you might have in the future, you still may not get any support from the manufacturer. The risk may be low, but it's something for you to consider.

Saildogs

Very good point and that is why we are also considering a new TT with 15 inch wheels to give us better height from the ground.

My dealer, who I think is excellent, no longer sells the North Trail line although does carry other Heartland products. I plan on asking if the dealer can order a North Trail king slide if there is a floorplan we like. Fifth wheels are not being considered as we don't want to lose the pickup truck bed.

We probably should not have bought the F-250 diesel truck as now we are looking to upgrade the TT. LOL

Diane

berky

I can't speak for all of the king slide models, but I know the 26LRSS has all the ground clearance you could ever want - about 23" to the bottom of the frame. The floor plan has loads of interior space with the 12' slideout. The bathroom is cozy .... but I don't spend much time there.
We're probably only an hour from you. If you want to look at one, send a PM.

Saildogs

Berky,

Where did you purchase your NT? I have looked at the floorplan online and liked it very much.

Diane

berky

We bought ours at Grumbine's in Harrisburg, PA. About the time we bought ours they had just become part of the Camping World juggernaut.

In past camping trips to Codorus state park in Hanover, PA, I had noticed a dealer that had some Noth Trails in their yard. I couldn't remember the name just now, but a quick online check showed me that it is Reichert's. Unfortunately the search engine listed it as "permanently closed" with no phone number.

I see there is now a Camping World in Hanover. Maybe Camping World bought out Reichert's too. In any case the Hanover Camping World web site listed a few North Trails.

Saildogs

I did a Google search and saw that Grumbines is now a Camping World. After all the bad press about Camping World's business practices, I am very hesitant to purchase a TT from them. I think we will proceed slowly as our current TT is in fine condition and we love the layout and space in it.

Diane