Axle seals

blkdodge

I have a 2012 Landmark San Antonio with Dexter 7k axles. Anyone know the part number for the seals so that I can purchase before starting the task of packing the wheel bearings. We are full time so it's not as convenient when living in a S&B where I could leave it sit for a couple of days while searching for seals. I reckon I could order from dexter if need be which may be the best way to go.

Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated
Thanks David

jnbhobe

It's really hard to give you a number because there a few different ones. Best to pull one as most parts stores will have them or go to a bearing supply like Bearings Inc. Do your self a favor and buy the expensive seal.

marvmarcy

The local bearing expert recommended Timkin bearing and seals for my Dexter 7k axles, even though they are now made in China. He replaced all my bearings and seals in Sep 2014 when I got new 17.5" wheels and GY114 tires. I had my bearings repacked at a local rv dealer a year previous but they apparently weren't all adjusted quite right as two wheels were noisy. Because adjustment is so critical, I decided to not do it myself. Sorry I don't have the number, but I would still pull a seal confirm the number just to be sure.

JanAndBill

Here's the link for Dexter, they have a lot of information there http://www.dexteraxle.com/resource_library_ I also have a seal cross reference chart in pdf format. Haven't figured out how to post that here, so if you pm me I'll email it to anyone that wants. it. As far as parts, I found a local parts house that stocks seals and bearings, for a local RV repair. When I bought mine, the seals are stamped Dexter "made in china". So are the bearings. After pulling my hubs and cleaning everything up, I could find no abnormal wear on the bearings at all. Just repacked them, replaced the seals and put them back.

MTPockets

We have the Dexter 7000 lb axles. Bearings are Timken 25520/25580, 14276/14125A, and heavy duty C/R seal is 22558. I purchase mine from Industrial Distributor, Motion Industries.

rxbristol

Use Timken parts--

Inner bearing = 25580
Inner race = 25520
Outer bearing = 14125A
Outer race = 14276
Seal = 031-017-01

I had to use more than one company to get all the Timken parts I needed. I would not order from Dexter if you want Timken parts. I also bought additional retainer clips, but it was not necessary.

jimtoo

Almost any decent auto parts should have those bearings and seals, especially small towns, farming areas. Those are very common numbers, just make sure you get the Timken brand,,or there is another,, but don't remember now... :( age related I guess.

Jim M

dbbls59

I would go to a trailer parts store, not an auto parts. The auto parts store will be able to match them up but they will not be the quality of Dexter seals. There are only about three different seals for Dexter axles, depending on the rating of the axles.

jnbhobe

Most seals at the trailer store are cheap seals from China the parts store will have cr or national seals

Jim.Allison

Yes an industrial supplier will have your bearings and seals, or they can order them easily. Stick with the names even if they are chinese made. Timken, Koyo, SKF just to name a few. They will also have your EP NLGI 2 moly grease in stock also. Its what the professionals use. A bulk bin at a trailer supply store is not the place to buy bearings.

We have the Dexter 7000 lb axles. Bearings are Timken 25520/25580, 14276/14125A, and heavy duty C/R seal is 22558. I purchase mine from Industrial Distributor, Motion Industries.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
This is what the seal looks like on the Dexter axles of our trailer:

TrailerHubAfterRepair-IMG_3915.jpg

Not sure if it is the same as yours . . .

Jim.Allison

Thats not a seal, that is a bearing cap. Behind that cap is an axle nut, take that nut off, remove the hub and the seal will be on the back side of the hub. Watch a video on youtube to learn how to remove that bearing cap without damaging it, it already looks like it has been damaged.

This is what the seal looks like on the Dexter axles of our trailer:

View attachment 35161

Not sure if it is the same as yours . . .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thats not a seal, that is a bearing cap. Behind that cap is an axle nut, take that nut off, remove the hub and the seal will be on the back side of the hub. Watch a video on youtube to learn how to remove that bearing cap without damaging it, it already looks like it has been damaged.

That is a brand new one that was put on when the wheel bearing, brake assembly and spindle was replaced in Phoenix back in January.

Jim.Allison

They dinged it up with a hammer. That is a bearing cover or cap for a Dexter EZ lube axle. It is not a bearing seal. The seal they installed is on the back side of the hub. youhave to take the wheel and hub off to see it.
That is a brand new one that was put on when the wheel bearing, brake assembly and spindle was replaced in Phoenix back in January.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Use Timken parts--

Inner bearing = 25580
Inner race = 25520
Outer bearing = 14125A
Outer race = 14276
Seal = 031-017-01

I had to use more than one company to get all the Timken parts I needed. I would not order from Dexter if you want Timken parts. I also bought additional retainer clips, but it was not necessary.

Am I right to assume that these are the same parts/numbers that would fit our Big Country 3690 (2013) which has Dexter 7k axles? The Big Country, Big Horn and Landmarks share the same frame and axles, right?

~ Alice

Jim.Allison

If you definitely have Dexter axles and there is no reason why they would not be Dexters, and you want to double check the seal numbers provided for comfort, You search Dexter parts and find bearing kits that will give the part numbers for the seals.

Don't be concerned about the part number so much, it's the OD, ID and thickness that matter along with the number of lips. If the supplier offers one with a double lip, so much the better. For that matter you may have double lip already. In fact I would seek a double lip seal in a quality name such as Timken, SKF, and Chicago Rawhide (CR). The supplier will have a crossover chart for every seal.

BTW, there are industrial suppliers that carry Dexter axle components as well as aftermarket components that fit Dexter axles. If you have the seal in your hand an industrial supplier will probably reach in his pocket take out his caliper and take a ID-OD measurement and identify the part number without without even looking it up.

Am I right to assume that these are the same parts/numbers that would fit our Big Country 3690 (2013) which has Dexter 7k axles? The Big Country, Big Horn and Landmarks share the same frame and axles, right?

~ Alice

rxbristol

~ Alice

In my research, I found out that the part numbers were mostly the same among all the manufacturers. I just made sure that it was from Timken. I doubled checked the part numbers against the old parts as I pulled them off the hubs. Yes, these part numbers are for 7K Dexter axels. Tools I found invaluable--4 lbs. hammer, tire iron (helped tremendously in removing seals), bearing and race seal driver set (install new races), punch (to remove races), and bearing grease packer (I like using this better than by hand--it leaves no doubt that the grease is throughout the whole bearing). All the tools I picked up from Harbor Freight.