Axle weight changed/renewed from factory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't see that Bubba was complaining about the Goodyears, (as he said "After I upgraded my tire and wheels, I have not had one single tire blow out".) but about the poor quality & load limiting now of the axles that are causing his tire problems that are being remeded with a change of a decal. To reply with "Could that have been caused by whoever sold/installed the wheels & tires", isn't that just grabbing at straws. To have to replace tires every 4-6 weeks is absolutely ludicrous, unless you have controlling shares in Goodyear. Don't think I'll be putting anywhere the 2500# that is advertised for my HL Toyhauler. Do we have to wait till someone gets killed before something is done about these problems after all isn't RVing supposed to be a "Safe & Fun for the Whole Family " with Safety first?
flameon, read bubba's original post #15. My initial reply was based on what I read. His second post, #17, is when he said he hasn't had a tire problem. I don't grab at straws. My statements were based on what I read in his first post in this thread. Generally, if a wheel comes of a spindle, there are 3 potential problems, bad bearings, bad install or overweight.
Read both of his posts and both of mine and see if it makes more sense to you. Again, as I said in my posts, "These heavy rigs should have more or a better margin for capacity". And that statement really applies to all towable RV manufacturers.

flameon

Ray I'm not trying to p**s you off but it seems if HL uses Lippert exclusively (only game in town ?) then HL should help to remedy the problem on behalf of it's existing customers and not just by issueing a .25 cent decal. I agree lots of people have lots of opinions, that's what make everyday so different and interesting but if this was an issue in the automotive industry there would have been a recall by now and we wouldn't have to fight tooth and nail just to be safe going down the road, afterall isn't that what it's all about? Many people out there seem to think that I/we (there's more out here affected by this problem that will never speak up for fear of reprisal).
Let me get one thing straight, we have enjoyed our "Toy Hauler" and really thought it was the best we could afford, (so have many who have toured it) and now with these last known defects, itg really make us second guess our choice. We belong to a couple of quad clubs and was intending to purchase another quad but have put it off and have seriously considered selling this unit if we cannot use this "Toy Hauler" to it's full potential as advertised.
I have over a "MILLION" accident free miles driving semi commercially and the last this I need now is having one pulling an RV that has some serious issues!

dougw

For me, a subject like this might someday apply to me. Trailer Gods willing I hope to never have to deal with stuff like this but....

I bought from HL and not a contractor that was used by them. I would hope the mfg would deal with what they sell. I'm not taking any sides. If I buy a refridge from sears and have a problem, I call sears, not who ever actually made it.

Again my 2cents....not bashing...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray I'm not trying to p**s you off but it seems if HL uses Lippert exclusively (only game in town ?) then HL should help to remedy the problem on behalf of it's existing customers and not just by issueing a .25 cent decal. I agree lots of people have lots of opinions, that's what make everyday so different and interesting but if this was an issue in the automotive industry there would have been a recall by now and we wouldn't have to fight tooth and nail just to be safe going down the road, afterall isn't that what it's all about? Many people out there seem to think that I/we (there's more out here affected by this problem that will never speak up for fear of reprisal).
Let me get one thing straight, we have enjoyed our "Toy Hauler" and really thought it was the best we could afford, (so have many who have toured it) and now with these last known defects, itg really make us second guess our choice. We belong to a couple of quad clubs and was intending to purchase another quad but have put it off and have seriously considered selling this unit if we cannot use this "Toy Hauler" to it's full potential as advertised.
I have over a "MILLION" accident free miles driving semi commercially and the last this I need now is having one pulling an RV that has some serious issues!
Nah, Only dogs get mad. I was only trying to explain my reply to bubba's posts and that his first post was not clear to me. I'm curious though as to what the weight difference was between the original and the replacement sticker capacities. You had mentioned in your post #14 that you replaced your tires. Were the replacements a higher capacity that the OEM tires? Since we replaced our suspension a couple yeas ago, we now have much more capacity that our sticker indicates. My feeling is if I know my tires and suspension are up to the task, I'm happy.
On the way to the Rally this week I was on some pretty miserable roads and I have to say, I was a bit worried about tire damage but we made it in one piece.

flameon

I will be picking the toy hauler sometime today, in the shop for warranty work and will let you know. I'm pretty sure we went with a "G" rated tires.

CharlieD

I would like to know if someone thinks Heartland will make a recall on these axles and tires (15") that are under rated? I have had 6 blow outs since buying the cyclone in 08'. Don't see buying a daully truck an they come back an derate the truck to a 3/4 one year later.

flameon

Well if your asking if I think HL would do a recall to rectify the problem, my answer would have to be "no". What you have to remember is that the auto industry is held to a higher level of customer satisfaction and is willing to fix many problems with more lenient warranty repairs & recalls to keep the buying public safe (auto industry recalls are more costly to the manufacture than the rv industry), i.e. today in Canada they have just announced a recall on all Dodge 2008 thru current year, 1500, 2500 & 3500 P/U's for the "Death Wobble in the front end, (notice it goes back to 2008 whether you are the original owner or not). The auto industry is not looked at as if it's a luxury item even thou many vehicles are, but the general public sees the rv industry as a luxury that many cannot afford period.
Just my 2cents.

gpshemi

Bubba, I'm not disagreeing with you but just pointing out that the 13,696 dry weight of the rig includes about 2500# of pin weight. That actually leaves about 11,200 on the axles. Whats very strange is the fact that you had a problem after having new tires and wheels installed. Could that have been caused by whoever sold/installed the tires & wheels? As you said, thank God there was no accident.

Careful...Heartland doesn't allow that kind of math as much as I'd like to do it.
They say you do not subtract the pin weight of the coach.

caissiel

I was coming out of a trailer repair place yesterday and coming in, driving faily fast for towing a trailer, was this woman turning in the parking lot. Both tires I looked at were at least 50% under inflated and she had just come off the interstate. How many out there drive their trailers with underinflated tires. And the manufacturers know that 70% of all tires on the road are underinflated. Its the owners resposibility to watch for potholes and debris on the highways.
I to blew many D class tires on 5K axles and it was when I installed underrated Class C truck tires that I finally got comfort and they lasted 6 years. My conclusion was that the tires I was running were damaged by road condition and debris, because the thicker thread tires did very well.
Trailer tires are build to be least friction on the road, and most never wear out, they mostly rott of old age. If one does a lot of miles on trailer tires my bet would be on truck tires that are build for high mileage and safety of occupants

dalesws6

Well I have gone about a year now since I got online and spent 2500.00 on a set of new 6 lug wheels and load range g goodyear G614's with no problems. I can now go down the road without worrying about one of my load range e 15" tires exploding and destroying the side of my camper again or causing me to wreck and kill myself or no telling how many other families. Heartland has a serious problem and I will never recommend there products to anyone after dealing with their customer service department about their tire, wheel and axle issues. I didn't upgrade my axles because I couldn't afford to but I did find there was one 6 lug aluminum wheel out there that was rated almost at what the G614's are, not quite but almost, can't remember the exact numbers now, so that was the set up I went with and I have had no issues with it yet. Hearland should recall these monstosities with feeble stock axles and tires and replace the axles, tires, wheels at no cost to all owners and reimburse those of us who have done it ourselves. Maybe we could get 20/20 or 60 minutes to do a special on the dangerous rv's they are putting on the road to at least warn the public to stay away from their products and maybe force them into doing the "right" thing! Infuriated Cyclone 4012 owner who would otherwise be happy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.