Bad dometic a/c

MIKEGELLO

Hi everyone
I have a 2014 key largo. Just out of warrantee by 3 months. Took it out of storage to get ready for June trip. Living room AC quit. Figuring not worth fixing!! Defiantly low on freon. I can't see spending a couple hundred charging it in light of the fact I can replace it myself with a brisk 2 for $600. Has anyone replace one themselves??
Where would the bolts be located being its centrally ducted? Any other none direct hook ups ??? Any problems resealing to roof? What kind of sealant gets used?

Thanks for any advise
Mike

MIKEGELLO

The dometic warrantee paperwork says 2 years. The closest dealer is 2 hours from me and I leave in 2 weeks.

MIKEGELLO

I'm in the auto repair business, so I know how this AC repair stuff goes. Charge it and start replacing parts when the leak is found. With that said I hate to waste money and time on this unit. Sad really that this stuff doesn't last!! So I figure I'll keep the old one for spare parts being I have 2 units.

AAdams

Hi everyone
I have a 2014 key largo. Just out of warrantee by 3 months. Took it out of storage to get ready for June trip. Living room AC quit. Figuring not worth fixing!! Defiantly low on freon. I can't see spending a couple hundred charging it in light of the fact I can replace it myself with a brisk 2 for $600. Has anyone replace one themselves??
Where would the bolts be located being its centrally ducted? Any other none direct hook ups ??? Any problems resealing to roof? What kind of sealant gets used?

Thanks for any advise
Mike

Mike,

There are not any points to recharge the a/c system. I replaced a Dometic heat pump with a Brisk Air 2. Mine was a ducted system so I was able to reuse lower unit. If yours is ducted then the process is fairly simple, the hardest part is getting the units on and off the roof.

There are 4 small disc covering the 4 screws on the lower unit in the rig. Remove the disc and the screws.

Turn off the breaker to the unit, then disconnect the a/c, furnace ( blue wire ), freeze sensor, thermostat, and 2 wires to the a/c unit

You should see a metal bracket that has 4 long screws going to upper unit. Take these out and save.

Go on roof and lift out of the way, set new one in place and reconnect. There is foam on the bottom that forms the seal.. NO caulking or lapping compound needed.

This is a short version of the install, just follow the instructions and it is easier than you think. I also suggest taking pictures on your phone as you disconnect so you will have something to reference when you are putting it all back together. I did but have since deleted them when I did it a couple years ago. Mine did have some complications since the heat pump didn't have a separate control box. Since I installed the Control Center II with it the standard box didn't use the plug in on it so I used the control box for multi control so I didn't have to cut the modular plug off and just plug in. So my unit was down a few days because of ordering parts, but once that was out of the way and I had all the right parts everything started right up and cooled down.

Hope all goes well

Alan

AAdams

Are there different models for ducted and none ducted?

The lower unit will be different. The upper unit is the same. As far as the unit I think they moved more air than the older Dometic heat pump that we had.

Alan