Bad Luck

Dumboldles

Let me warn you folks this is a rant, I don’t know why I picked the Around the Campfire section of the Heartland Forums…but sometimes sitting around a campfire you tell about positive things along with darn bad luck times. I’m not going to blame Heartland or my dealer because I am a previous TT owner and do realize that RV’s do have problems during that initial ownership period and if you have a good relationship with your seller and the service dept. you can have a dependable rig to take you down the road for a fewyears. Now get to the point: We got notice that DW’s family were going through the Yellowstone area and wanted us to meet them up there. Being that it was going to be around the Memorial Day weekend and short notice we decided to give it a try as far as reservations to campgrounds--I also figured to see about doing a float trip and get some fly fishing in. We were fortunate and able to get reservations to an in-between stop and the destination campground and I was able to book with a fishing guide service for a day on the Madison River.

I prepared our BH 3010RE by getting the batteries charged, inflating the tires to 110psi, washing windows, making sure the tire lug nutswere properly torqued and swapping out my 5 year old truck batteries for new. Have Imade it to the point I’m trying to make yet? Day before we were to hit-the-road, we brought the BH out of storage to load up. Immediately, when attempting to open the slides we were not able to open the door side slide (around the end of last year we had the refrigerator side slide fixed…took over six weeks; don’thave repair work done around that time of year; my DW remembered checking out the the door side slide when we picked up the camper). I did some preliminary checks to see if there was an obvious fix and couldn’t see anything. Being that it was late afternoon, on a Saturday of a holiday weekend, we made some calls; we lucked out and found a mobile rv service that would come out. He removed some of the underneath covering to see if maybe a wire had come loose or someother problem that he could see visually…he could not find the problem and suggested, because the BH was still under warranty, that we should just take itin to the dealership.

Now to my point
: We are not going to make it to Yellowstone and meet up with my DW’s family andI will not be able to get some fly fishing in. We will call the dealership on Tuesday to see about getting our brand-new 2016 BH 3010RE in for them to figure out what is wrong.

We are out the following:
$50 for in-between stop (deposit lost for holiday reservation)

$50 for final destination campground (deposit lost holiday reservation)
$110 for mobile RV service
$247.50 for fishingguide service (may be refunded if I book with them further into the year)

To the point: well we lost some money and we are still haven’t gone anyplace. I’m having a cold imported beer in my air-conditioned home where I could easily be at the side of an interstate waiting for a road side service to finally show up. Thanks for letting me rant.

Dumboldles

lynndiwagoner

Man, that's some hard luck. I don't know your situation with the storage but I always start making sure all of the slides and stuff work way before the day before a trip. I would think that your new Bighorn has hydraulic slides and if all of the slides work other than that one I would check the valves located near the hydraulic pump. Sorry to hear your problems but I bet it is a simple fix. Hope all goes well.

Kbvols

Let me warn you folks this is a rant, I don’t know why I picked the Around the Campfire section of the Heartland Forums…but sometimes sitting around a campfire you tell about positive things along with darn bad luck times. I’m not going to blame Heartland or my dealer because I am a previous TT owner and do realize that RV’s do have problems during that initial ownership period and if you have a good relationship with your seller and the service dept. you can have a dependable rig to take you down the road for a fewyears. Now get to the point: We got notice that DW’s family were going through the Yellowstone area and wanted us to meet them up there. Being that it was going to be around the Memorial Day weekend and short notice we decided to give it a try as far as reservations to campgrounds--I also figured to see about doing a float trip and get some fly fishing in. We were fortunate and able to get reservations to an in-between stop and the destination campground and I was able to book with a fishing guide service for a day on the Madison River.

I prepared our BH 3010RE by getting the batteries charged, inflating the tires to 110psi, washing windows, making sure the tire lug nutswere properly torqued and swapping out my 5 year old truck batteries for new. Have Imade it to the point I’m trying to make yet? Day before we were to hit-the-road, we brought the BH out of storage to load up. Immediately, when attempting to open the slides we were not able to open the door side slide (around the end of last year we had the refrigerator side slide fixed…took over six weeks; don’thave repair work done around that time of year; my DW remembered checking out the the door side slide when we picked up the camper). I did some preliminary checks to see if there was an obvious fix and couldn’t see anything. Being that it was late afternoon, on a Saturday of a holiday weekend, we made some calls; we lucked out and found a mobile rv service that would come out. He removed some of the underneath covering to see if maybe a wire had come loose or someother problem that he could see visually…he could not find the problem and suggested, because the BH was still under warranty, that we should just take itin to the dealership.

Now to my point
: We are not going to make it to Yellowstone and meet up with my DW’s family andI will not be able to get some fly fishing in. We will call the dealership on Tuesday to see about getting our brand-new 2016 BH 3010RE in for them to figure out what is wrong.

We are out the following:
$50 for in-between stop (deposit lost for holiday reservation)

$50 for final destination campground (deposit lost holiday reservation)
$110 for mobile RV service
$247.50 for fishingguide service (may be refunded if I book with them further into the year)

To the point: well we lost some money and we are still haven’t gone anyplace. I’m having a cold imported beer in my air-conditioned home where I could easily be at the side of an interstate waiting for a road side service to finally show up. Thanks for letting me rant.

Dumboldles

Hate to hear about your bad luck. Sucks to seemingly have everything come together then disappointment and lose money on top of it. Hopefully your at least enjoying that cold beer. Hopefully they will get fixed and you never have any more issue.

Garypowell

Not sure what kind of insurance you have but if you have good Sams they have some form of trip interruption coverage I believe. I think our "general" insurance on the unit has it too.

Obviously nothing returns the good times but the reimbursement will help a little.

danemayer

I guess it's too late to save your trip, but did anyone try opening the slide control valve manually? You probably have a couple of control valves near the pump that either have a knob for manual operation, or can be opened and closed with an allen wrench. Might look something like this.

DSC04482.jpg

lynndiwagoner

That's exactly what I was talking about. I bet when they repaired the one slide they knocked off a wire or something.

Dumboldles

Yea I looked into doing it manually but my thought processes just couldn't justify it. I payed for the convenience of making these things easy.

pegmikef

Can I assume you or the Tech checked the fifty amp circuit breakers to make sure they were functioning correctly?

Dumboldles

Thanks for the reply. That's one of the first things I checked out. The tech figured if one slide was working the fuses should be ok. I did get the feeling that the mobile tech may have been overwhelmed. I have scheduled to get it into my dealership tomorrow

FiremanBill

Hate to hear this. A few years back my old F-250 died right before we were to go out on a trip. absolutely nothing I could do about it at the time other than get mad and stew over it... Sometimes we just have crappy luck.

Like you say though, at least you are sitting at home having a cold one instead of being stuck somewhere.

Dumboldles

Hello Folks, update on my situation..danemayer you were correct it was the slide control valve. I did take a look at the two knobes and maybe we did have someone (maybe when we did our walk through) explain this function but, being a short memory guy, I couldn't remember. I did look at the set up but, I couldn't determine how the knobes functioned. The RV tech showed me today. A learning experience.

Dumboldles

Abear79

Keep an eye on those hydraulic hoses. I got stuck on checkout day twice with hoses busting. It happened on trip 1 June 2014 (Percy Quinn MS) and July 2015 (Lake Livingston TX) and I caught a few bubble hoses in between. Im all good now, but keep an eye on them at least the first year.

Capt7383

I currently have no problem with my slides, but I would like to know more about the values danemayer mentioned. I cant remember seeing any knobs but there may be allens. Should I have a problem what would i do with these allens

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I currently have no problem with my slides, but I would like to know more about the valves danemayer mentioned. I cant remember seeing any knobs but there may be allens. Should I have a problem what would i do with these allens

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Here's a link to the Lippert Manual Override Technical Info Sheet. You may have some twist knobs as pictured earlier, or you may need to use the allen wrench.

One problem is figuring out which valve is associated with which slide or which portion of the leveling system. While things are working, you might have one person operate a slide while another person listens/feels for valve operation. If doing this while operating the leveling gear, take care that you don't lower the pinbox on yourself.