Bad Spare Tire

jbeletti

It's sad that we have to be this anal/worried about our tires but I have to agree that we must. It's just that important.

Even though I have the GYs now, I still try to be very hawkish about them. To this end, in my mind at least, I am planning to add a camera under the trailer pointing back toward the axles, mounted such that I can see the both axles and all 4 tires. With the camera that is on my truck bumper, I can just see the tires where they contact the ground. I want to improve on this.

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim B.

I have attached photos of the 4 low tire sensors I built for about $75. When a tire is low on pressure, the feeler wire contacts the ground, trips a micro switch in plastic box, closes the circuit on the wireless door bell transmitter located in the propane tank compartment, and activates the wireless door bell receiver in the cab.

The systems worked as planned when the TA tire exploded several weeks ago. The only problem is, if the tire explodes the sensor cannot react that quick, nor can expensive tire mounted monitors.

Forrest

Attachments

• Tire Sensor001.JPG
    Tire Sensor001.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Tire Sensor002.JPG
    Tire Sensor002.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 45

Uncle Rog

Forrest you are one clever fella! I go off road quite a bit and weeds etc might cause a few false alarms, but for asphalt work that is one heck of an ingenius system. When you posted your blowout info you mentioned your system, I wondered what you had done, good job.

Forrest Fetherolf

Roger,

Driving through weeds and tall grass off road is a good thing with these sensors.......it is an in-motion self-test to verify the system is working and if you fall asleep when driving on asphalt, will alert you to wakeup, get out of the weeds, and back on the road.:D :D :D

No RV should be without them!!!!!!!!!! I was going to mass produce these, but decided not to. If I did, I would probably make millions and have to buy a newer/bigger RV and truck. To tired...........I spent the last ten months just getting the bugs out of the one I have now. ;) ;) ;)

Forrest

Forrest Fetherolf

roazo said:
Forrest
Do you have set of plans for these?

roazo,

If you or anyone else would like to build up your own low tire sensors, I would be happy to draw up a sketch and parts required. I spent about 8 hours for design and deciding on which parts, once you have the diagram and parts in hand, it will take about 4 hours to assemble and install. The skill level is about 3 of 10.

Forrest

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Forrest, I'm like the dog in the Bushs Baked Bean commercial and I won't tell either.;) ---Ken

Forrest Fetherolf

katken,

You are hereby warned, if you disclose this sensitive information to a third party and/or attempt to install this super-sophisticated device on your rig, you will be ejected through the roof vent the next time you sit on the ceramic potty. Be careful....................:eek:

Forrest

katkens

Forrest Fetherolf said:
katken,

You are hereby warned, if you disclose this sensitive information to a third party and/or attempt to install this super-sophisticated device on your rig, you will be ejected through the roof vent the next time you sit on the ceramic potty. Be careful....................:eek:

Forrest

SORRY! I will even cancel the advertisement add in Trailer Life. I will even cancel the two thousand complete list of parts I ordered. I'm doing this in good faith because I Know I can't fit threw that vent.:p ---Ken

katkens

Uncle Rog said:
katkens, good call, "deserves got nothing to do with it"......

I figured I should stay on the good side of Forrest he does get some pretty good brain storms once in awhile.:D Thought of a good jingle " Ya won't see your tires explode because of the trees in the Forrest-- buy now.;) Ken

Forrest Fetherolf

Uncle Rog & Katkens,

Don't you guys gang up and pick on me.................................I am a very very sensitive and shy guy, you know. I was a Marine, LAPD Motor Cop, and a General Contractor, I learned to kill-um, book-um, and build-um. With that experience, how could I be anything other than sensitive and shy?
Oh!........I'm kinda quiet to.

Forrest:eek: