Baking food in the oven

Manzan

Mauna, the only adjustment is whatever you would do in figuring out cooking times in any new oven. The pizza stone evens out temps and helps prevent burned bottoms on whatever you are baking.

Jimmy

I put a shallow Baking Pan on the bottom rack upside down, then the one I have biscuits on is above, works for me...

RanCarr

If you can't find a pizza stone any unglazed tile should work. There was recently a discussion on this topic on a Facebook RV forum.

kowAlski631

Check out Pampered Chef products. We have the stone as well as baking dishes made from the same material. Works like a charm.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

Hoosier Wolverine

If you can't find a pizza stone any unglazed tile should work. There was recently a discussion on this topic on a Facebook RV forum.

Do the tile have to be unglazed? I was all set to buy some tiles for our oven until I read the above. I don't know where to buy unglazed tiles. Lowes sells glazed tile.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Do the tile have to be unglazed? I was all set to buy some tiles for our oven until I read the above. I don't know where to buy unglazed tiles. Lowes sells glazed tile.

I'm not sure if it matters. They're cheap enough to buy both. I think ours are unglazed though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I recall reading a while back that using a glazed tile may add some undesirable chemicals to the air when heating them.
Certain minerals may also be used to develop the color. Like lead.
Personally I would get a pizza stone over the tiles.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can't dispute Cookie's comments but we've had the tiles in place for several years with no adverse effects. The 6" tiles fit nicely but I noticed we need to clean our oven a bit. :eek:

Attachments

• oven2.jpg
    oven2.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 138

VKTalley

I can't dispute Cookie's comments but we've had the tiles in place for several years with no adverse effects. The 6" tiles fit nicely but I noticed we need to clean our oven a bit. :eek:

Ray,
Do you have your tiles sitting on a cookie sheet? Trying to tell from your picture.

Hoosier Wolverine

Thanks for the responses. I bought 4 lightly glazed tiles today at Lowes. No unglazed we're available. I've been told the use of lead is no longer permitted.

cgunn

We use our Half-Time/Microwave/Convection oven every day..
We cook our biscuits and pizza and pies etc. on convection setting.
Works every time.... No burnt biscuits or anything.
Nice and brown all over.. 450 deg. for 18 min. for 4 biscuits.... perfect...
We store bread etc. in the conventional oven. Use it rarely.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
We use our Half-Time/Microwave/Convection oven every day..
We cook our biscuits and pizza and pies etc. on convection setting.
Works every time.... No burnt biscuits or anything.
Nice and brown all over.. 450 deg. for 18 min. for 4 biscuits.... perfect...
We store bread etc. in the conventional oven. Use it rarely.

I agree, I use the Half-time oven frequently. Browns food evenly. Makes pizza fast.

sspate

Our "new to us" Big Country came with 4 Ceramic tiles in the oven. The previous owners probably forgot they were there. I do biscuits almost every trip and have not had any issues!

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
We bought a 3 pack of assorted size Air bake insulated pans from Bed Bath and Beyond. Work perfectly no more burned biscuits, rolls, or pizzas

We just bought a North Trail and tried it out last weekend for the first time. I cooked cinnamon rolls the first morning and the response from the family was "you burned the bottom". Nice to see so many suggestions here to correct that problem! I purchased a 3 pack of Air Bake pans and will give those a try this weekend. Hopefully no more burned cinnamon roll bottoms! If that doesn't work, I'll try the ceramic tiles or pizza stone. Thanks!!

danemayer

Hi debcar0814,

Congratulations on your new rig and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here and I'm glad to hear you've already found something that helped you. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Don't worry . . . be happy!

I cooked cinnamon rolls the first morning and the response from the family was "you burned the bottom". Nice to see so many suggestions here to correct that problem!

Oh no!

Burnt cinnamon rolls! :eek:

As with any new tool . . . it takes time to figure out how to use a new tool to it's full capacity!