Bal spare tire carrier Failure

davidaf

Figured I'd post this as a warning. First post and sorry it's negative but new rigs seem to have bugs. Picked up our Landmark a couple weeks ago in Elkhart. While making the long drive back to CA, somewhere on i80 in WY the spare tire carrier failed on the drivers side dropping the carrier. I think the bolts backed out but since I no longer have that side of the carrier i'm not sure but nothing ripped out of the frame. Was flagged down by a trucker and was able to remove the remainder of the carrier. Luckily the door side held on and no damage to the rig. Looks like the frame heated and melted some indentations in the tire. The carrier is shot as is my trust in the product. So make sure you check your bolts and better yet find a guy to weld it as some extra insurance. Now to figure out where to carry the spare. Bed of the truck is a concern due to the Emergency brake cable. We fulltime so the basement is mostly occupied.

dave

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Figured I'd post this as a warning. First post and sorry it's negative but new rigs seem to have bugs. Picked up our Landmark a couple weeks ago in Elkhart. While making the long drive back to CA, somewhere on i80 in WY the spare tire carrier failed on the drivers side dropping the carrier. I think the bolts backed out but since I no longer have that side of the carrier i'm not sure but nothing ripped out of the frame. Was flagged down by a trucker and was able to remove the remainder of the carrier. Luckily the door side held on and no damage to the rig. Looks like the frame heated and melted some indentations in the tire. The carrier is shot as is my trust in the product. So make sure you check your bolts and better yet find a guy to weld it as some extra insurance. Now to figure out where to carry the spare. Bed of the truck is a concern due to the Emergency brake cable. We fulltime so the basement is mostly occupied.

dave

Sorry to hear of your problem with the tire carrier. Have you contacted Heartland about this? The customer service number is located on the Portals page. When you call have your Vin # ready.

P.S. Welcome to the forum and be sure o check out the Owners Club.

davidaf

I'll be calling them today or tomorrow. We have a couple things to be address once we make it back to CA so I may just save this to go with the others.

BTW BigJim45, home base is Aguanga @ Rancho CA. Wife and I wanted to hit the Rally at Pechange but we are a bit late on the schedule getting back.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Call Bob the chapter leader. I know there is still space available.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk