BAL spare carrier

akf15e

I know the topic has been brought up before, but since it's been a while, here's a reminder: make sure you can release the spare tire carrier before you really need it! I went to check the spare tire pressure and the handle would not rotate. It was seized up big time. WD-40 did nothing. Knob stripped out as I tried to turn it with grips. Ended up cutting the knob away with snips to expose the bolt. As I turned the bolt with a socket wrench, it sheared. Hacksawed the bolt down to the carrier frame so I could lift up the rack and pull it out. Of course, tire pressure was fine! I flipped over the spare so I can simply get on my creeper and roll under the rig from now on. I drilled a hole in the carrier and am now using a stainless bolt and lock washers so I will not have to repeat this pain again. Very luck that I didn't need to get to the spare while sitting along an interstate with a flat and not having the right tools. Guess I'll add snips and a hacksaw to my RV toolbox. Be forewarned!

Spare rack.jpg

Attachments

• Spare rack.jpg
    Spare rack.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 62

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Very good advice.
I checked mine last week and also had to break and cut it off. And mine had never cease on it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk