Basement Access Door

Wharton

I know I have seen threads regarding the basement access door mods but I can't find them. How have you modified the access door to the water pump, furnace etc. in the basement to take to door off and gain access. Any help would be appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if anyone modified the basement door, but a lot of people have modified the black carpeted wall in the basement.
Some have used hinges and pins, some use velcro and others just added an access door to the wall.
Here is a pic of my hinge mod.
Pull four pins and the wall comes out. This is the off door half of the wall

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Bulkhead Hinge.jpg
    Bulkhead Hinge.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 314

Wharton

That is what we did also. It just is a pest to get everything aligned with the pins. Hoping for a better solution.

danemayer

4 years ago I put a piano hinge along the bottom edge of the panel by the UDC and removed the original mounting screws. That lets me lay the panel flat on the floor of the pass-thru storage (after taking the containers out). I hold it closed with a bungee cord pulled across 2 eye bolts.

Wharton

That solution sounds great but I don't think we can do the hinge in ours. We have the bedroom heat vent coming through the access door and can't drop it flat. Gives me some thinking to do.

danemayer

That solution sounds great but I don't think we can do the hinge in ours. We have the bedroom heat vent coming through the access door and can't drop it flat. Gives me some thinking to do.
If I remember correctly, the hole for the vent was already open at the top but I had to enlarge the opening around the vent to allow the panel to clear the duct.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I installed a piano hinge on the bottom and a barrel latch at the top.

Attachments

• trailer mods 017 (Large).jpg
    trailer mods 017 (Large).jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 286

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I removed both panels and cut sections out. Then I framed the openings and installed plywood panels. At first, I had wood tabs to secure the panels, but later changed them to barrel latches. These allow me to completely remove the panel without having to empty the basement. The one with the vent (vent was OEM) has the converter and suppressor behind it, so I can easily access both. The other allows access to the water heater and back of the UDC. It also makes it easy to inspect the majority of the plumbing for leaks, especially when using the tank flusher.

Before cutting the panels, I first decided how big I wanted the access openings and scored the fabric cover with an X. I folded the fabric back behind the panels and used spray adhesive and staples to hold it, so the edges of the chip board are covered. The framing was cut to give a lip to place the removable panel against.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We removed our fabric wall and replaced with sliding doors. The doors ride in metal U-channel.
IMG_6742.jpg
Before -- note the small square access at the far end -- this is where we access the pump and winterizing valves.

IMG_6965.JPG
Sliding doors in place of the wall

IMG_6963.jpg
Access is much easier!

Brazos

TravelTiger,
In my books that is a sweet basement mod you did. I like it. Is the outside door in a channel like the inside door?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
TravelTiger,
In my books that is a sweet basement mod you did. I like it. Is the outside door in a channel like the inside door?

Yes. Both sides slide. In the 2014 Q-2 issue of Heartland Highlights, Tony wrote about the mod.

Wharton

I like the sliding door but we can't do that one, our vacuum is in the way. Oh well, them's the breaks.....................