Bathroom fan mod

ArlingtonFire

I am in the process of ordering the cyclone 3812. I was going to add a fantastic fan in the bathroom but was wondering if the humidity levels from taking a shower affect the sensor and how it operates?? I thought the moisture would not let it open properly...... Thanks for any help!!!

porthole

Retired
The sensor works with rain "water" hitting it.

I also think it senses dew. My wife complained one night about the fan going on off. The only thing I could think of was the dew closing the lid, drying out and re-opening it.

No problem with showers and I Like hot showers.

trvlrerik

A lot of fan noise is air cavitation caused by the fan blade "cutting" the air and causing high pressure waves as it pushes the air, sort of like the roar of the wind when you roll the car window down. it may help to leave the vent a little more closed down. You can also make sure the fan blades are all pitched a little bit differently and the harmonic can cancel out some of the noise. Vibration of the fan itself can be cut down by applying some double-sided tape lead wheel weights to the steel bar the fan is mounted on. this will stop the fan vibration noise.

Hope some of this helps, changing the fan, or power changeover can be expensive.

creeper

I like the fan noise. Covers up the other noises when I or someone else is in the bathroom.. :) No reason to have that fan on if you're not using the facility.

regan

Regan
I dont know about everyone else, but my wife likes the noisy fan.... dont have to be a rocket scientist. Masks other noises if you know what I mean. If it ever went out she would want one equally if not more noisy!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My wife also seems to like the masking effect of the fan. Personally, I don't turn it on unless my eyes start to burn and I have to call a doctor.:D

Hey everyone,

I am pleased to report that I have finally completed this project. I haven't taken pictures yet, but will post some if anyone requests them.

First the starting point. Measured from about a foot away, the stock fan was making a whopping 71 dBa of noise. No wonder we could hear the blasted fan from all the way at the back of our trailer.

So, got out the tools and after about an hour I had removed the old fan and had installed a pair of computer case fans in its place. The pair of fans seem to move more air, and do it much quieter. Measured from the same distance, the fans now only generate 56 dBa!

The fans I chose have nice red LEDs, so now someone can use the toilet at night without turning on the big bright lights and waking people up.

I'm impressed with the results and highly recommend this project to anyone who is sensitive to fan noise.

Cheers,
Chris

wyleyrabbit

Pictures Please.......Petty Please.....

Terry,

OK, will be a couple of days or so but I will take some pictures and post 'em.

The particular fan I used is the Thermaltake Model#AF0030. I went with this one because it's relatively cheap (~$10 each, or less) and reasonably quiet. It only moves ~70 CFM, so the pair should move about double that so about 140 CFM. I have no idea how many CFM the stock fan moved, but I bet it's not as much as a pair of these.

For now, here are a couple of pics of the fan from the company's website.

B_Front-View.jpg.jpg

B_AF0027_29.jpg.jpg

Here's the link to the website: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1164&ID=1919

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Years ago I took some PC fans similar to this one, made teak frames for them and mounted them strategic areas on our boat. They ran 24/7 and did a nice job of quietly keeping the air moving around.

wyleyrabbit

Unfortunately, I don't (yet) have any night-time pictures. The LEDs are bright enough for one to do one's business without turning on the "retina burners". Here's a daytime photo, with the fans on.

Let me know if you have any questions on installation or anything else.

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• fans.jpg
    fans.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 215

RichTully

Have not read the entire thread so perhaps someone mentioned this. How about just adding a speed control? Done properly it can be installed in place of the on off switch! Rarely need the fan on at full speed anyway. Slow and quiet most of the time will work just fine. No need then to touch the original fan. And when noise abatement IS required, it can be turned up to full speed.

Rich Tully

GOTTOYS

I replaced my bathroom fan with a Hang Vortex replacement kit. It installs in the old housing without going on the roof. Has a baffle around the edges, a lot more blades and moves way more air with less noise. You can find them online for around $50.00. Installation took around 15 minutes. Very pleased with it...Don

rancol01

Randy and Colleen Smith
Not familiar with Hang Vortex and couldnot locate an online source, if you could provide the source you found yours it would be greatly appreciated.

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
Try Heng Vortex fan upgrade kit.

Camping World and others carry them. Ebay has them from $39.95 up to $80.00 (multi-speed).

Converts your existing vent.