Battery and Light indicators

Mullins

Howdy, I'm new to RVing and I have a question regarding my battery in my 2015 Cyclone. Recently I had some work done on it and while in the shop the battery went dead. When I got it home I plugged into house current(110). How long does it take to get a fully charged battery and the battery light indicators in the RV are showing red. I am assuming these will turn green after a fully charged battery. Am I correct with my assumption.

jimtoo

Hi Mullins,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

It will take several days I think to charge your battery. Also did you check to make sure battery is hooked up? I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon with more info for you.

Also be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Moving thread to better area also.

Jim.Allison

It is possible that a battery cannot be revived, it happens, but your onboard charger should put it back to normal in about 8 hours or slightly more. If it does not then you will probably need a new batt. Todays smart chargers, know what to do to get that battery in condition and will accomplish the task if it can.

Howdy, I'm new to RVing and I have a question regarding my battery in my 2015 Cyclone. Recently I had some work done on it and while in the shop the battery went dead. When I got it home I plugged into house current(110). How long does it take to get a fully charged battery and the battery light indicators in the RV are showing red. I am assuming these will turn green after a fully charged battery. Am I correct with my assumption.

danemayer

Hi Mullins,

I'm more than a little color blind, but DW says our battery indicator lights on the test panel are Green, Yellow, Red, Red (top to bottom). All 4 are lit up when the test button is depressed. I'm pretty sure the reading comes from either the battery, or from the Power Converter. So if all 4 lights are lit, you may be getting a readout from the Power Converter even with a dead battery.

There's a 12V DC Mini-circuit breaker in between the Power Converter and battery. If that trips, the battery will never get charged. Most have a teeny-tiny reset button on the bottom edge. Very hard to see; sometimes it's easier to feel for it.

I've attached some pictures that show what to look for. They're typically placed near the battery. Also make sure the battery cutoff switch is ON (if you have one).

Finally, here's a link to our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide. It explains all this more fully, has some drawings and includes a diagnostic flowchart if you need more help.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 40
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 36
  • circuitbreaker.jpg
    circuitbreaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 43

branson4020

Icantre Member
Dan, you're right about the battery indicator on the monitor panel. Any time you're converter is working, it will indicate fully charged.

Mullins

Thank You. Looking forward to meeting fellow RVers.. Battery is hooked up and on house current for about 4 days now, going out this morning to check it again. Again, thank you for the welcome..

Mullins

Thank you for the info. The battery has been on house current for about 4 days now; going out this morning to check it. I will feel/look for the reset button and the battery cutoff is in the on position. Again, thank you for the pic and the info..

whp4262

I'm 1600 miles away from my Cyclone right now in Moristown, NJ. so can't look to be sure but I think my battery monitor lights are White = C charging, Green = G good, Amber = F fair and Red = B bad. When charging all the lights are on and when on the battery 1 to 3 lights are on depending on the state of the battery.
Note: The lights only come on when I push the test switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullins

Thank you. Yes, when I press the test switch all the light come on and they are red. I have had the house current hooked up now for 5 days, and they are still red. I put the volt meter on the battery when hooked up and I get about 13.4V. when I disconnect the house power the battery drops to about 12.5V. If my memory serves me correctly when the battery is charged and I test, all the light are green. Thanks again..

DocFather

Thank you. Yes, when I press the test switch all the light come on and they are red. I have had the house current hooked up now for 5 days, and they are still red. I put the volt meter on the battery when hooked up and I get about 13.4V. when I disconnect the house power the battery drops to about 12.5V. If my memory serves me correctly when the battery is charged and I test, all the light are green. Thanks again..

Mine have never been green. They are all red. The more that light up the better. There are 4 red lamps and they are labeled "Low" "Fair" "Good" and "Charge"

whp4262

Mine have never been green. They are all red. The more that light up the better. There are 4 red lamps and they are labeled "Low" "Fair" "Good" and "Charge"

Now you have me wondering DocFather about the color of my lights. I'll have to look when I get home tomorrow.

DocFather

Now you have me wondering DocFather about the color of my lights. I'll have to look when I get home tomorrow.

Don't feel bad. I can't remember anything these days. Before I posted my reply, I ran out to the RV in the pouring rain in my boxer-briefs to check the color of the bulbs, etc. I live on a farm so luckily no one could see this awful sight. :mad: The RV is about 300 yards from the house. I think it is Biblical. (the 2nd mile)

MagnoliaTom

Hi Mullins,

I'm more than a little color blind, but DW says our battery indicator lights on the test panel are Green, Yellow, Red, Red (top to bottom). All 4 are lit up when the test button is depressed. I'm pretty sure the reading comes from either the battery, or from the Power Converter. So if all 4 lights are lit, you may be getting a readout from the Power Converter even with a dead battery.

There's a 12V DC Mini-circuit breaker in between the Power Converter and battery. If that trips, the battery will never get charged. Most have a teeny-tiny reset button on the bottom edge. Very hard to see; sometimes it's easier to feel for it.

I've attached some pictures that show what to look for. They're typically placed near the battery. Also make sure the battery cutoff switch is ON (if you have one).

Finally, here's a link to our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide. It explains all this more fully, has some drawings and includes a diagnostic flowchart if you need more help.

Dan,

I'm having charging issues as well. My elkridge doesn't have one of those reset buttons. I have 4 of those circuit breakers by the battery but non have the button. Any suggestions?

Btw my lights are all red.

danemayer

Dan,

I'm having charging issues as well. My elkridge doesn't have one of those reset buttons. I have 4 of those circuit breakers by the battery but non have the button. Any suggestions?

Btw my lights are all red.

Hi Tom,

It's possible you have an auto-reset breaker, but it's much more common for the button to be missed because it's barely more than a fly speck on the breaker.

But assuming you have the auto-reset breaker, if you have a volt-meter, I'd suggest following the diagnostic flowchart in the 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic guide to diagnose the problem. It won't diagnose 100% of problems, but it should help you with all but the most exotic failures.

MagnoliaTom

I must have the auto reset type. I've looked and felt every one of those things at least 3 times. I'll have to check with volt meter when I get home. Thank you for the help

Mullins

I would like to thank everyone who replied to this inquiry There is a lot I've learned in short amount of time I've been a member. The first thing I've learned is that my memory is going south, I guess all the lights on Battery Panel are Red, I do not have reset buttons on the bus bar, and I found out where my battery switch on/off is. But more importantly there are a lot of great folks out there willing to help a fellow RVer. My thanks goes out to all of you..:cool:

whp4262

Well I went out to look at my panel lights and they are different colors.
b88afb03ce7286b00e5fc0b9fd290a3e.jpg

Soon as I went into the camper I smelled ammonia from the refrigerator. Never liked Dometic fridges anyway so guess I'll start looking for a good deal on a Norcold.