battery charge system

jpatkat

hi jim thanks for the info, i have alot to learn,ugh! my eldest son is an electrician so i think he has a better grip on this topic, so hopefully we will figure this out.

Bohemian

Lead Acid Batteries.

The larger the 2V cell the more efficient the lead acid battery. This is independent of 6V vs 12V. 6V and 12V batteries with the same 2V cell size have about the same efficiency.

Building a 12V system of a defined capacity using 2-6V batteries as compared to 1-12V battery, the 2-6V batteries will take up more volume and weight more by the weight and size of the additional casing and the additional cable. The 12V battery will be slightly less than the combined weight of the 2-6V batteries. It is easier to move each of the 2-6v batteries independently than the one heavier 12-V battery.

Forget gel batteries.

AGM vs standard lead acid batteries:

AGM batteries are more expensive and have less capacity than the same size standard lead acid battery. Standard lead acid batteries are the most economical way to get the greatest capacity by weight and volume.

AGM batteries are far safer and take far less maintenance than standard lead acid batteries.

Jim.Allison

Lithium technology has advanced quite a bit and so have the chargers, although remote, the possibility of a fire still remains, and we have enough problems having fun with our rigs without having one more potential issue to deal with. But the upshot is, just as pointed out, that lithium batts and their cousins can catch fire and when they do it is uncontrollable.

What ever you do, my suggestion is to go the extra step and buy industrial batteries and take care of them. shoot for at least 8 years of reliable service maybe 10.

porthole

Retired
Lithium technology has advanced quite a bit and so have the chargers, although remote, the possibility of a fire still remains, and we have enough problems having fun with our rigs without having one more potential issue to deal with. But the upshot is, just as pointed out, that lithium batts and their cousins can catch fire and when they do it is uncontrollable.

What ever you do, my suggestion is to go the extra step and buy industrial batteries and take care of them. shoot for at least 8 years of reliable service maybe 10.

For me, the only fire concern with Lithium batteries is the fire in my wallet trying to pay for them :rolleyes:

Lynn1130

Yes they are expensive. Not to mention that they take a special charging system. As to the fire issues, google RC (radio controlled) lithium battery fire and you will probably find a number of videos of fires related to lithium batteries. A fellow flier left a liPo battery charging in the back of his SUV in his garage and the only thing that kept the house from burning down was the lack of oxygen in the closed vehicle choked off the fire. RC aircraft crashes also seem to set off liPo fires on a pretty regular basis. Not my choice for vehicle batteries until some major changes happen with liPo.