Battery connection schematic, diagram or pic for LM365

rikreed

I have a 2017 LM 365 charleston. Looking for a diagram or pic of where the wires connect to the top of my 27dcm group of batteries I just bought from Costco, to make sure they are connected correctly. New batteries are not working and the 'remote' swtich inside no longer turns on. While changing batteries, my wrench accidentally touched both neg and pos poles and gave me a nasty spark. It tripped the 50 amp switch, which I have since depressed, but still not getting any charge from batteries as the remote switch inside will not turn on. Shore power works fine.

Thanks,
Rik Reed
Proud owner since 2017 and still traveling the US.

rikreed

I'll take a closer look at the document, but my parallel connections look good. The problem may be associated with the residential refridge connection or 100 amp fuse. I just finished looking at this document and it says to check the 100 amp fuse. https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/User Guides/Residential Refrigerator Guide V1.pdf I don't yet know how to check that fuse. I'll keep searching unless you or someone else knows how to do that. I'm pretty sure my battery connections are ok, but not 100% after the parallel wires are connect, I have one pos and one neg wire going into a bolt through the box. On top of that box, 2 wires neg (one is a ground and white wire going somewhere else. The positive bolt has 3 wires going into it, 2 red and a black. This is my 1st attempt at this so I'm figuring it out as I go.

rikreed

looking at the diagrams in the docs, you should have a negative wire going directly into the inverter and a negative wire going to the frame. on the positive side, you have 2 wires making their way to the battery shut off switches. I think when I took off the box, 2 wires got knocked around, confusing me and I may have switched them on the battery My question is now, where does white wire, which is attached along some other wires on a silver strip, go on the battery? Pos or Neg. Again, this is a Heartland 365, LM Charleston with the residential refridge setup. Thanks.

Last edited:

sengli

If your inverter isnt working?, it is hooked to the batteries separately from the coach. Its hooked up in parallel to the RV You should two connections to the plus side, and two connections on the ground side. A side note, when on shore power are the batteries charging? Check with your DVM, you should see 13 to 14.6 volts. To run this down you are really going to need a DVM, to chase everything down to trouble shoot it.

On my landmark, I never used the inverter, so I unhooked that whole mess from the battery bank.

david-steph2018

looking at the diagrams in the docs, you should have a negative wire going directly into the inverter and a negative wire going to the frame. on the positive side, you have 2 wires making their way to the battery shut off switches. I think when I took off the box, 2 wires got knocked around, confusing me and I may have switched them on the battery My question is now, where does white wire, which is attached along some other wires on a silver strip, go on the battery? Pos or Neg. Again, this is a Heartland 365, LM Charleston with the residential refridge setup. Thanks.
Can you post a couple of pictures of the area?

rikreed

Can you post a couple of pictures of the area?
Yes. And thank you for replying. Let me know if these 3 pics are clear enough. The middle pic with the blue holder and white wire is currently not attached as that is the wire that got moved around and I'm not sure if it goes positive or negative on the battery. Right behind it, you can see the other end of the wire attached to that silver strip on base of the unit. Not sure what the wire is for as it is not represented on any diagram. Currently, I have 2 wires on neg (one that goes directly to the inverter and the other appears to be a ground attached to the frame. On the positive battery, 2 red wires attached to battery. 1st goes to the 100 amp switch, then left battery cutoff switch and then to the inverter. 2nd positive wire goes to the 12V Buss Bar & Mini Circuit Breakers, then the right battery cutoff switch.

Attachments

• 1000011935.jpeg
    1000011935.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 1000011934.jpeg
    1000011934.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 1000011933.jpeg
    1000011933.jpeg
    793.2 KB · Views: 13

rikreed

If your inverter isnt working?, it is hooked to the batteries separately from the coach. Its hooked up in parallel to the RV You should two connections to the plus side, and two connections on the ground side. A side note, when on shore power are the batteries charging? Check with your DVM, you should see 13 to 14.6 volts. To run this down you are really going to need a DVM, to chase everything down to trouble shoot it.

On my landmark, I never used the inverter, so I unhooked that whole mess from the battery bank.
Thank you. I'll have to pick one up. We never dry dock but occasionally, power goes out at places we travel to and the double battery set-up was invaluable to us. In fact, we were in far south Texas in 2021 when ice took out power for 2 days. I was able to occasionally run my truck and recharge the battery, keeping the refridge running and the furnace.

rikreed

FYI, I got this resolved. Once I figured out the extra wire (#5) was an additional ground wire (thanks to someone at Heartland in customer service, I attached it to the negative battery. Then I turned on the inverter, pressed the GFI that had tripped and I have off shore power. So my 2017 battery setup has 3 negative (2 ground wires and one inverter) and 2 positive wires. Thanks for the information and help everyone. Although this was a headache, I learned a lot the next time I need to work on my rig.