Battery Disconnect Switch Options

ckwall

My Heartland Sundance XLT 281 DB does not come equipped with a factory installed battery disconnect switch. I recently winterized my trailer for storage, and needed something quick and simple while I figured out what I wanted to permanently install, so I added a disconnect switch to the battery terminal it's self. The problem with this, is that every time I need to turn it on or off, I have to take the cover off of the battery. Kind of a pain. I know... first world problems...

The switch panel inside the trailer has a precut space for a disconnect switch. I reached out to Heartland to see what they had in mind for that space. This is what they said they install in that place:

image005.jpegimage006.jpeg

The problem with this is that this is at about leg high, right as you walk into the trailer door. I worry about this continually getting bumped and snagged. My wife would likely hang grocery store bags from it to put trash in, things like this.

What I am hoping for is if anyone knows of a similar solution that has a removable key, that can be installed in the same location. If there is a viable solution, it would solve 2 of my problems, my need for a convenient disconnect switch as well as my ACD's need to have every labeled port have a purpose.

Thank you in advance
Chris

CarterKraft

When I want disconnect a battery I want just that, nothing to work, no path for current flow.
It's two fold, I don't want my battery to discharge and I don't want any source of ignition.
The switch Heartland suggested doesn't seem to be able to disconnect the battery from the trailer but more likely one or two circuits. That switch is no very robust in my opinion.

There are several remote style battery disconnects but the easiest method would be a disconnect switch and a extra length of cable. This will allow you to remove the positive or negative cable from the battery and connect the new switch in the middle of the old and new cables. You can mount it near the battery then access it by opening the compartment door.
There are remote disconnect switches that will accomplish the same thing remotely but they are pretty pricey for the convenience.

$18.56
418rJCUCffL.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The problem I see is that your switch is rated for 75 amps where as an RV disconnect switch is rated at 275 amps.
Simply put your switch is not up to handling the current needed in an RV.
The previous post outlines the switch you should be using.

Peace
Dave

ckwall

Glad everyone is commenting... All of the details and images I put into my original post are from Heartland. <Clowns> I will definitely take the advice given here and look for a more capable switch.

mlpeloquin

When I want disconnect a battery I want just that, nothing to work, no path for current flow.
It's two fold, I don't want my battery to discharge and I don't want any source of ignition.
The switch Heartland suggested doesn't seem to be able to disconnect the battery from the trailer but more likely one or two circuits. That switch is no very robust in my opinion.

There are several remote style battery disconnects but the easiest method would be a disconnect switch and a extra length of cable. This will allow you to remove the positive or negative cable from the battery and connect the new switch in the middle of the old and new cables. You can mount it near the battery then access it by opening the compartment door.
There are remote disconnect switches that will accomplish the same thing remotely but they are pretty pricey for the convenience.

$18.56
View attachment 48819

This is the stile of switch that is in my Big Horn. Great easy to use switch. Where did you find it for $18.56?