Battery Life

Hello!

DW took the trailer and didn't make it to their destination (couldn't get trailer into spot so are now boondocking it). I have the fridge turned on with the gas for them, but now I am wondering about the battery. They will only be using the lights, so how long "should" it last...no water, I drained the tank assuming that they would make it, so no need for the pump or the water heater either! The will be conservative with the lights I know, but I want to make sure that they don't run out. It will only be 1 maybe 2 nights at most.

IF they do run the battery out, will they be able to plug the connector back into the TV and "charge" the battery? Will the slides still operate if the battery dies and the TV is plugged in?

Thanks,
Kevin.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have run my fridge for several days on gas and battery alone. If your pretty conservative with the lights, you should be able to get by for couple of nights, You could hook up you Tow vehicle to operate the slides. Make sure it is running when you put the slides in. I have charged the battery running the Tow Vehicle for 20 - 30 minutes and then the lights will continue to function. Minimize how long and how often the fridge is open to keep it operating at minimum too.

You may want to charge the battery for 20-30 minutes during the day to help keep the battery level up.

Sumo

JMO, but I don't think you will get much of a charge from the TV. But, you can us the TV battery to run the slides in and out.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
JMO, but I don't think you will get much of a charge from the TV. But, you can us the TV battery to run the slides in and out.

Your certainly not going to completely recharge the battery but you keep it from becoming completely discharged. It should give you several more hours of usage
I have done this several times when my battery gets low. It would probably take 8 hours or so to fully recharge a nearly dead battery depending on size. but 30 minutes can really give a low battery a boost.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since you are in The Great White North and the nights are getting colder now, it she uses the furnace it will be a large drain on the battery.
Just something to consider.

Peace
Dave

Lynn1130

If you use the furnace you might get one night but even that is questionable on one 12 volt battery. Without the furnace and light use of all other electrical it should be fine for two.

Crumgater

I'd say the furnace is going to be the big drain. The fridge just needs a little juice to run the controls.

We have a "little buddy heater" that runs independently on propane, just in case - it says it's ok to use inside where well ventilated... but always need to be careful of O2 and CO2 levels, if you do get something like that.