BD Turbo Brake for 2011-2014 6.7L

porthole

Retired
Looks like I forgot an update. XDP (Xtreme Diesel) had their open house recently and the BD-Power people were there at a vendor booth. XDP is 2 miles from our house.

And as luck would have it, one of the brake design engineers was there. Short answer was, yeah, that's not right. Call Monday and someone will take care of it.
I did call that Monday and BD shipped out a new "revised" controller. It is going in the truck when I get done here catching up on the forum.

It also came up that maybe my "cleaning exhaust filter now" message was a message trigger, but not an actual event. No way to tell wit the Ford factory gauges. So I got an Edge CTS2 monitor to see what is happening when the dash message pops up.

IronJ

And that sounds more like the bd I have dealt with. ...that thing works...you had me scared!!
.lol..my clean exhaust flashes like 1 second...so I prob miss half of them...or more...when your towing and only getting 8.9mpg you can't tell by the mpg. ..lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Update. Replacement module installed, although the part and revision numbers are the same and the serial number is 35 units earlier.

New Jersey to Kentucky, now we are hitting the interstates. Our route had us going over 5, 6 & 7% grades with a max elevation just over 2800 feet.
Prior to the trip I added an Edge CTS2 Insight monitor to see if the regen message was an actual event or false display.

Each hill we descended brought up the cleaning exhaust message, but the monitor showed no regen in progress. Each hill we descended put the truck into "reduced power".
Reduced power mode will not allow the truck with trailer to proceed up the hill.
That becomes a tenuous situation as you now have to pull over, let the truck cool down and then restart to clear the reduced power. And as before, no fault codes displayed.

Just sent the same message to BD.

Bones

IIs there any weird chance the truck sensor for back pressure is before the turbo? This would be the sensor to help determine if the filter is clogging.

IronJ

Well what the crap???..mine does nothing of the sort nor throws any codes on decent?..

Only issue I had last trip was def warning that took 2 days to reset after I added def....prob not related tho...

Again, keep us informed... I was talking to a customer who is a ford tech this morning and he suggested a possibility that your original ford ecm needs to be updated? ..I dunno

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Nothing like cruisng down a 7% grade, looking towards the 7% uphill and have this pop up.

image.jpg

Pulling the trialer there is no way to climb the hill, you have to pull over and do a shut down re-start.

Although, I continued to play with stuff, cruise on or off, tow haul on or off, manual trans mode etc and I did cheat once or twice by shutting down while we were still coasting down the hill.

Not something I would recommend though.

ncc1701e

What was the trigger? Something triggers all the alarms. Curious what made the computer think there was a problem.