Be cautious at REST AREAs

Lynn1130

Yes Alpha Hotel was/is more military than LE. Our phonetic was Adam Henry. Same for David Boy or when we had to change it to be politically correct, David Bravo. I will let you all work with that one because I will probably get censored here.

Just a point of clarification Miranda is not necessary during questioning unless the officer is zeroing in on you as a suspect and you are considered "in custody" meaning you cannot leave. The simple question "Am I free to leave?" is appropriate if the questioning seems pointed at you. There is a fine line and the officer needs to know when to use Miranda. That is why some just Mirandize for everything. A good detective/officer knows when to and when not to. If the officer decides to read you the Miranda warning then your response should be " I want an attorney". All questioning directed at you about a crime must stop until you have an attorney present.

I always got a laugh out of the perp that gave up everything without being asked and then started yelling you didn't read Miranda as he was cuffed and hauled away. Right David Bravo and I did not ask you any questions either.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Yes Alpha Hotel was/is more military than LE. Our phonetic was Adam Henry. Same for David Boy or when we had to change it to be politically correct, David Bravo. I will let you all work with that one because I will probably get censored here.

Just a point of clarification Miranda is not necessary during questioning unless the officer is zeroing in on you as a suspect and you are considered "in custody" meaning you cannot leave. The simple question "Am I free to leave?" is appropriate if the questioning seems pointed at you. There is a fine line and the officer needs to know when to use Miranda. That is why some just Mirandize for everything. A good detective/officer knows when to and when not to. If the officer decides to read you the Miranda warning then your response should be " I want an attorney". All questioning directed at you about a crime must stop until you have an attorney present.

We never called the crooks Alpha Hotel in Houston, we just called them 'turds' cause that is what they are.

Miltp920

Just found a similar thread ....Using Rest Stops, July 2014. Very similar comments, makes for a good read.

Slympicins

We are on a roll here. Kinda off the subject but going down the trail of some good o'l times.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

I always got a laugh out of the perp that gave up everything without being asked and then started yelling you didn't read Miranda as he was cuffed and hauled away. Right David Bravo and I did not ask you any questions either.

Still you should not answer any questions whether you are free to leave or not, mirandized or not. And you need to bite your tongue if you are excited. Excited utterances, and answers to questions that were never asked (spilling guts) are what will make your attorney's job impossible. And remember all that record will be available for the civil suit guilty or not. Layman's terms can be expressed in legal terms which have much more specific meanings. And example might be "I had to kill the SOB" becomes more accurately, "I had to shoot him to stop him from inflicting grievous bodily harm to my wife". Two different statements for the same action.

- - - Updated - - -

We never called the crooks Alpha Hotel in Houston, we just called them 'turds' cause that is what they are.

Old school never minced words, LOL. That was the young trainees that came in. Turd is a nice name, the rest can't be posted, but "sierra hotel" comes to mind.

Lynn1130

Sam Henry.

The best statement is "I really was afraid for my life" nothing more needs to be said.

Slympicins

Sadly the cell phone video will only show the part that gets you convicted for protecting yourself.

Slympicins

Cookie that was a great video. Professor hit the coffee a little too much but great information.

Piperflyer

So I'm getting the impression that staying in a highway rest area for the night is taking you life in your own hands....... What about Walmart's or your big truck stops?

buddyboy

We prefer to stay at a campground, but we try to stop for the day at 2 pm. It's not worth it to us to travel later, but everyone has their own style.

SilverRhino

We try to plan 48 hours ahead and start calling RV Parks in the area we plan on driving to. If we absolutely had no other choice and I could not safely drive, I would pull into a large truck stop and catch a couple hours sleep in the truck. We are fortunate to have s rear seat that makes into a bed.

We will not stay at a Wal-Mart or a rest area, overnight in the trailer! With a little planning we have never even been close to having to!! As the previous poster said " everyone has their own style " so you have to do whatever is the most comfortable for you.

​Travel Safe!