Bedroom AC controller is dead

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My bedroom AC controller is completely dead !!! I swapped it out with the 3rd AC controller and still the same thing. Where does the phone cord that's plugged into it, come from ? I assume it comes from the AC unit so I pulled the cover off and don't see any phone cord up there. I've checked all fuses and all breakers. This one is getting to me.
I'm trying to install my Winegard SK-1000 TRAV'LER dish and have spent most of the day dealing with this problem instead.
looking for some help

danemayer

Jerrod,

Is this the thermostat that also runs the furnace? If so, somewhere there's a relay box that switches power for both the furnace and for that A/C unit.

On older units like mine, the thermostat that ran the living room A/C also controlled the furnace. The relay box was above the air return. But with Whisper Quiet and 3 A/C units, I'm not sure how they control it or where.

I do know that your PCS Power Control unit has control over all A/C units. If there's a loose wire there, you could have an interruption. The last page of the PCS Installation Instructions shows the relays.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That control only controls the front AC + heat pump. But I did have all of the control panel out today and was messing with wires back behind the PCS so that's a good start Thanks Dan. I'll dive back in there and look for something there.

SNOKING

OK, under the cover is a foam cover, and under that is a female/female phone cable coupler. The new TSB for the AC units also say to check this coupler for corroded connections. I am going to and suggested to Heartland that this couple and it's phone cables should get some dielectric grease as it is hang in the plenum in a not so nice environment. TSB says to install a new ends on the cable if it looks corroded along with the coupler. Chris

SNOKING

Be very careful removing the foam cover, there are wires and lines sealed with putty. Collect that putty and reform it when you put this back on. Do you have any contact cleaner in a can to spray the data cable ends and the coupler? Chris

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Be very careful removing the foam cover, there are wires and lines sealed with putty. Collect that putty and reform it when you put this back on. Do you have any contact cleaner in a can to spray the data cable ends and the coupler? Chris

Hey SNOKING I opened it and found the connection. I push the plugs in and wend down a tried it. NOTHING :( I then took the controller up on the roof and plugged it straight into the cable STILL NOTHING. I checked power to the main power plug and I have 122 AC volts there, so it's getting power.
I'm trying to find a number for Dometic tech support

donr827

I just had my home a/c repaired, compressor not running, and the first thing the repairmen did was to take the cover off and with a plastic screw pushed the contact's to close it. Compressor started up and he turned to me and said the problem is in the controller system, Found a break in a control wire. Quick way to check compressor.
Don

Bones

Jerrod,
I think the first step is to weed some things out. Can you move your current controller to a working AC to see if the controller died? It could be possible that the controller burned up. Next can you tell which pins provide the power needed for the controller? If so check the voltage. Try this next

Dave

jbeletti

Jerrod - what about DC power to the unit. I had one of my tstats go dead and it was a DC fuse in the fuse panel.

Back to what Dan mentioned on the PCS, the way it controls the ACs is to turn the compressor on/off using relays in the PCS board.

Does your tstat power up or is the screen blank/off? If blank/off, I think you have a DC power issue. If it powers up but provides no control, then it's something else.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim it is completely dead I took 2 separate tstats up on the roof and plugged them in directly, eliminating the phone line going from there to the bedroom. Both dead
I have 120 AC power and I did find 12V power to 1 set of wires that are laying in there with the AC power cable and the tstats cord that 12 set of wires goes in to the power control panel on the side of the AC
I'm thinking something went bad in that panel.
792200d4520cca193e101715a291fdc4.jpg

a5544678eda28e8ddded93842bb8989f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Well after all of the trouble shooting and emails to Dometic with no luck.
We hooked up this morning and headed out to the coast.
We got all set up and plugged in. So I thought I would give it a try. What do you know it came on and works fine. 🤔

Bones

Well after all of the trouble shooting and emails to Dometic with no luck.
We hooked up this morning and headed out to the coast.
We got all set up and plugged in. So I thought I would give it a try. What do you know it came on and works fine. 樂

I might take that as you could have a break in the wire somewhere. Electrical gremlins are the worse.

SNOKING

I still have to drill the TSB drain holes in mine. While back up there I am going to check the data cable coupler and coat the contacts with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion on the contacts.

I can see two beige couplers in your photos, one used and one not used. Chris

wildwolfproducts

I still have to drill the TSB drain holes in mine. . Chris
Can you tell me where to find this info at? Also our front AC unit stopped working last fall. But after driving 5 hours and plugging back in. It worked for a few days. And this year it has not worked at all.
Also my back one started messing up last year also. To use the Heat, I have to throw the AC breaker. That or both runs at the same time. Health issues has not allowed us to camp but one time this year. But hope to get back to it soon. And need both units working right.
Pete

danemayer

Can you tell me where to find this info at?
Pete

Pete, the TSB on water leaks from the Air Conditioner is for recent builds. If as your signature shows, you have a 2012, the TSB has nothing to do with yours.

If you do have a recent build, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

On the other issue where you have to turn off the A/C breaker, you probably have the thermostat FAN setting on HIGH or LOW. If you change it to AUTO, your problem with heat should be resolved.