Bedroom Closet Latches

RollingHome

I just broke the cheap plastic closet sliding door latches... what are you guys yactching about ? are you sticking velcro in the slides and letting this keep the doors from banging enroute ? It would be great if some entreprenor made the elcheapo plastic grabs out of temperpored alumiminum or stainless steel. Man we have used the plastic juke from TT's to 5vers and still curse the cheapo God... any ideas guys ?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
What's a matter with the velcro. It is out of sight, cheap, it doesn't break, and best of all it works. Don't even need a big piece.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, I agree 100%. So whats the deal...2"s of velcro on each door and door frame and its a done deal. You cant see it...smell it and it wont poke you in back when you climb in the closet. BTW, it wont remove any bark from your hands or arms either.

jcarnevale

Just bought our 3055RL and already broke one of the bedroom sliding closet door latches. Going to the dealer Tuesday to order replacements - getting extras just in case. This is not a big deal. Our last RV, a Komfort TT had the same problem and that was all it had, so this doesn't upset me much. Have any of you replaced with a different latch that is more durable? In this case, the plastic part that bends back busted at the fold and basically locked so we had to pry to latch off from the door. Thanks!

Replaced two of them and have two more in the tool box for the next time I break one.:(

DW_Gray

Yep, get rid of those no good, waste of your money, latches that break, cut you, and rip your brand new shirt. Going to Velcro was one of the best mods I've done.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How many thousands of dollars would Heartland save by using Velcro instead of the cheap plastic latches which they have to replace under warranty? Just a thought.

DRGalligher

Well, dealer let us know today that he has the ones we requested replacement on backorder and is overnighting them as soon as they are available. But he told us that if we find any of a better design, they will reimburse us. So . . . just ordered the ones from Tweety.com today, three day shipment. I did not want to use Velcro. For some it is a great solution but I just couldn't see paying so much for an RV then use Velcro. So, we'll see how these do. The fact that they are listed as part metal is promising.

Gizzy

We have only used our new BH3070 two times so far but after reading about the sliding door latches breaking, we decided that we will only use the latches when traveling. Once open when parked we will just reverse the doors and not use the latches at all until it is time to travel once again. We'll see how long they will last using them in this manner. Has anyone else already tried this and does it help?

DRGalligher

I think this is a good idea and worth a try. My problem is that I live the mantra I drilled into my two sons - "if you open it, close it", "if you take it out, put it back"!

DW_Gray

Now listen, if anyone is buying any of the plastic latches, you're just wasting your money. The first six months of my travels I replaced 5 latches. I tried 2 different kinds and none of them last. I ripped one of my dress shirts on one and I've been painfully poked a few times while making the bed. Enough was enough. A 4 inch strip of 3/4 inch Velcro is the perfect replacement. When the door is closed you don't even notice the Velcro.