Best Heartland Bunkhouse for my Rig

Opinion: I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Crew Cab Turbo Diesel (6.6L) 4WD Standard Bed (boy, that's a mouthful!). GCVWR of 24,500# GVWR of 17,100, payload of 2291, curb weight of 6900#. Any opinions on the bunkhouse models? We would really like to stay under 40' (include the 40'+ if the opinion is constructive). Thanks in advance!

Bones

Opinion: I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Crew Cab Turbo Diesel (6.6L) 4WD Standard Bed (boy, that's a mouthful!). GCVWR of 24,500# GVWR of 17,100, payload of 2291, curb weight of 6900#. Any opinions on the bunkhouse models? We would really like to stay under 40' (include the 40'+ if the opinion is constructive). Thanks in advance!
Are you looking at 5th wheels or TT?

avvidclif

If looking at 5th wheels look for a GVWR of the trailer to be under 11,000 lbs. The killer on your truck is the 2291 Payload.

danemayer

Opinion: I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Crew Cab Turbo Diesel (6.6L) 4WD Standard Bed (boy, that's a mouthful!). GCVWR of 24,500# GVWR of 17,100, payload of 2291, curb weight of 6900#.

On your other thread I recall you posted the payload as 2900. Is 2291 a typo that's actually 2921?

Bones

I like the Gateway 3650BH but it will be too heavy for your truck when all is said and done. You need at a min a 3500 truck for this camper IMO.

Bones

I think you may be a light category even some of those trailers are around 1900 lbs pin weight.

danemayer

With a 2291 payload, and 500 lbs of passengers and gear, and the weight of a hitch, it's going to be tough to find a fifth wheel that doesn't overload your truck.

Maybe the thing to do is find the RV you really, really want, and then work out a way to get a truck that is a match.

You might take a look at the Automated Safety Hitch System. David Gray, the founder of Fifth Wheel Safe Towing, has spent quite a bit of time looking into this system as an alternative for 3/4 Ton truck owners who want to safely tow larger trailers.

Thank you, Dan. As it is, buying a new - new truck is out of the question. With all of the extremely valuable advice and opinions, maybe I'll leave my beautiful Sierra alone and look into a used Class A bunkhouse.

Bones

You can get a Travel trailer to tow with your truck

- - - Updated - - -

You can also look at some prowlers. They have a lighter pin weight about 1600 lbs

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The North Trails are nice travel trailers and make great bunkhouse models. Very easy to stay under 40' and keep the overall weight down on the truck. I use an equalizer hitch with mine and have little to no sway. It tows nearly as nice as a 5th wheel. The truck bed is fully useable with a travel trailer and enclosed if you have a bed cover.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I think some of the mid profile 5ers in the Prowler, Sundance XLT and ElkRidge Lite series have some bunkhouse floor plans with pin weight starting around 1500 lbs. Give them a look.

Thank you, everyone! I am taking my foot off the pedal for bit. I'm not so much in a hurry to get a 5th wheel right now based on replacing my truck being out of the question. I'm not interested in a travel trailer either. I am, however, going to spend the next month traveling our beautiful state of California looking at the Elkridge Extreme Light and Sundance XLT's. Your advice has been worth a million bucks to my family and I!

Just don't make the same mistake I did. With our first camper, I tried to find a TT that would work with my tow vehicle (Chevy Suburban). We purchased a Passport 3650BH. After the first night I looked at my wife and said "this camper is going to get small really quickly". The next year I upgraded our tow vehicle to a Ram 3500 DRW so I would not be limited again. A few months after that, we purchased our Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

Abear79

I have a gateway 3650bh and I pull it fine and stops fine. It does not bottom out. If on a good road, which is hard to find in Louisiana, I don't know I got a 40' 5th wheel behind me. I pulled 13hrs to Disney and had no problems. Transmission temp ran at 185 plus or minus 5 degrees.

justafordguy

Agreed, I think your new 2500 will pull a Gateway 3650bh with no problems. It will be safe and have plenty of power but you will be over your payload rating. In my state As long as you stay under your tire and rear axle rating, and register your truck for the extra weight you will be safe and legal. Check and see What is required in your state.