Best route into Taos NM

dewwood

We are planning a trip through Taos, NM in about two weeks and would like some advice on the routes into Taos. Route 64 comes in from the east across the mountains and looks a little questionable, how is it crossing over to Taos towing our fiver? The other route would take us across LaVeta Pass and down the west side of the mountains on either 522 or 285, any advice on either of these routes? Any input on route and or places to stay or must see things will be appreciated. We will be staying for a few days.

RoadJunkie

I would go the 285 route, there are some hairpin sections coming up the pass from the Eagle Nest side. The road coming down the mountain into Taos is double lane and moderately winding.

Having said that, and the fact you are staying a while, take 64 on what they call the Enchanted Trail Loop while driving just the tow vehicle. Great scenery! Also find The Guadalajara grill for some great northern New Mexico food, it's a locals hang out.

dewwood

RoadJunkie,

Thanks for the reply, I have traveled over LaVeta before but I have not traveled 64 and it looked a little daunting on the map. Thanks also for the suggestions, we will have to check out The Guadalajara Grill. My wife lived in New Mexico for several years growing up and loves the southwestern dishes. We love to find the spots the "locals" eat at because they usually know a good thing.

dlw930

We are planning a trip through Taos, NM in about two weeks and would like some advice on the routes into Taos. Route 64 comes in from the east across the mountains and looks a little questionable, how is it crossing over to Taos towing our fiver? The other route would take us across LaVeta Pass and down the west side of the mountains on either 522 or 285, any advice on either of these routes? Any input on route and or places to stay or must see things will be appreciated. We will be staying for a few days.

A few years ago we drove in our car from LaVeta CO to Taos on 160 and 522. 522 is a fairly flat and straight road. I don't recall anything that would cause problems when towing. It's a bit shorter than taking 285 if coming from the east.

On the return trip, we took 64 to 25. I wouldn't pull a trailer over that road if I didn't have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dewwood

Thanks for the replies. I think we are going to go to Great Sand Dunes NP so we will be taking the western route either 522 or 285. I will try to check out Michael's Kitchen.

dlw930

Thanks for the replies. I think we are going to go to Great Sand Dunes NP so we will be taking the western route either 522 or 285. I will try to check out Michael's Kitchen.

Great Sand Dunes NP is a good choice. Definitely see if you're in the area. We went in 2007. You can see the dunes from 60 miles away across the San Luis Valley. They had a severe thunderstorm with hail in the NP vicinity earlier today. I was in Alamosa (nearest Walmart to our campground) yesterday.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Consider the train ride from Antonio,CO to Chama,NM, or vice versa. Amazing scenery!!

nscaler2

Consider the train ride from Antonio,CO to Chama,NM, or vice versa. Amazing scenery!!

I agree about the train ride. It is called the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic railroad. It has great scenery and is an operating museum. It is a remnant of the Denver and Rio Grande Western narrow gauge (3 foot wide track). The locomotives are the old original D&RGW stuff. One of the highlights is lunch at Osier. They call it lunch but it is really a dinner, with the greatest choices of desert you will ever encounter. Here is a link to their website. http://cumbrestoltec.com/