Best Tires for tow vehicle?

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Im going to jump in here on the Michelin tire subject. We have always ran Michelin tires on all 4 of our vehicles, Always been happy with them, until now. I replaced the Michelin LTX M/S tires that were on my Duramax last year. They had almost 62000 miles on them, most of them either pulling a camper or a horse trailer or the gooseneck. Our Michelin dealer couldnt get another set of M/S, because Michelin changed their tires. So I replaced them with the new LTX AT2 which is the replacement for the M/S. We are already talking to the dealer about warrantying these tires. they have just over 8000 miles on them and are well over half worn out. Although I can say they are wearing evenly, just very fast. The story is that Michelin changed the rubber compounds. The Michelin dealer is working on the warranty, but Michelin wants to wait and see how many miles they actually last? Last they said was they would prorate the mileage and apply it to a new set of Michelin tires. Got to think long and hard about whether I want another set.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The best overall tire out there now appears to be the ( Firestone/Bridgestone Destination A/T.) The only tire I ever had issues with was Michelin's XCH M/S. I will never buy Michelin truck tires again, they make the best sports car tire though).

lwmcguir

We are still having good luck with Michelin tires and had good service with the Transforce in the 17 in size. Good luck with Goodyears in the 19.5's as well. The 20 inch Michelins seem to be wearing a bit faster than I would like but they are going to get at least 50K it appears. Stay with any of the majors and you should be OK. They all have a bad run every now and then. We just put on a couple of sets of 14 ply and they are getting pricey. Sounds like they will jump again with the crude back in the 100 plus range. The Trans Canada pipeline issue has pushed up crude again. Think were it is going when and if ever the economy really takes off. If you can swing it buy they tires this year.

Moose

I have Michelin M/S2 on for summer tires. They replaced the BFG's that came with it. What a difference in ride quality and enjoyment with the Michelins. For winter I use Michelin LTX Winter tires.

I put Michelin's on all of my vehicles. Never had any issues.

Trialstyle

+1 on the Michelins!
They wear like iron and have excellent traction on snow/ice. My first set weren't worn out, rather the age is what got them. (I had 70 thousand + miles on them)
The new ones are M/S 2's "E" rated and are supposed to be better in the snow/ice than my last set, as they have more siping. (My first set was awesome in snow/ice)

I did some rough off-roading and chunked a piece of rubber off one knobby, but that's to be expected as it's not an ideal "off-road" tire either and was pushing it very hard, but it exceeds all my explications for an all around tire since I spend most of the time on the street.

I post a picture of the chunk and you'll probably agree its minor.
Also, you'll want to check Discount tire as they have beaten the Costco/Sams club prices on both sets of tires...

floridarandy

+1 for the Firestone Transforce. Have 5 of the AT version on our F250 4x2. Quiet and smooth and a great value. Wearing great with about 10,000 miles.

bill40

I also will vote for the Firestone Transforce.We run the HT's on our truck. This is the second set, they are quiet and the wear has been great.