Between Wheels Screw Wedge Chocks

wdk450

Gang:
After 7 years of RVing with my Bighorn, I have noticed something important, that I didn't notice before. I have found after side leveling with leveling blocks, chocking the wheels TIGHT with the screw together between-the-tires wheel chocks, then unhitching the truck, leveling front to back, and lowering the rear stabilizers; that most of the time the wheel chocks that I initially tightened are now somewhat LOOSE. I now re-tighten the chocks after unhitching and front-rear leveling. This CAN make the chock knobs a little TOO tight when taking them off for departure, but a pipe wrench on the knob is always a back-up assist if needed.

I just turned 66, and you "live and learn"; and maybe share that learning with others to make their life easier. That is what this wonderful forum is all about.

Lynn1130

I think that the recommendation is that the in-between wheel screw chocks be tightened after all other leveling and chocking is done. I think it is more a case of the stress put on the wheels and other components when leveling the front and rear with the landing gear and stabilizers.

danemayer

If the wheels come off the ground, even momentarily, after inserting the chocks, the equalizer assembly allows movement.

Lynn1130

I just reviewed the XChock install video and it does say "after leveling" do the install. It also says before hooking up uninstall them. My wheels cannot come off of the ground with only front landing gear and rear electric stabilizers and if we are talking about level up systems then the XChocks are overkill. I did find, however, that if you adjust the landing gear after deploying the rear stabilizers that you can bend the rear stabilizer braces. It cost me $70 to replace the one I bent.

It also says that after a few days of camping they may need readjusting as they will "settle" in to the tire.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/24928-BalX-chock-and-similar-device-warning

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've found that when the tires cool off after travel (usually a couple of hours) . . . the X-chocks need to be tightened again.

And the next morning I'll check them again just to make sure they are still tight.

wdk450

I think that the recommendation is that the in-between wheel screw chocks be tightened after all other leveling and chocking is done. I think it is more a case of the stress put on the wheels and other components when leveling the front and rear with the landing gear and stabilizers.

Lynn:
How do I unhitch the truck with my trailer wheel chocks NOT tightly in place? (I.E BEFORE front-to-rear leveling is done as you stated). This is asking for an accident.

Lynn1130

What? I unhitched, level with the landing gear, put the rear stabilizers down put the xchocks on and then run the slides out. I'm not sure what order you go in and am confused by what you're asking.

i use wheel chocks (the yellow ones) prior to unhooking. I paraphrased from the instructions. They make the recommendation of not tightening until level as it may damage the chocks so I guess you will have to take that up with them but the main purpose of them is anti shake not to keep the trailer from rolling down a hill.

Ron-Cookie

I used "Deluxe Chock & Lock" chocks (sold by Camping World) and chock before I unhook and then level until one time a couple years ago... Upon arrival at the Arizona HOC Rally I tried to put the chocks between the wheels as I usually did and they wouldn't fit... ???? Well I was in a hurry to get settled so I reverted to my backup chocks (Yellow plastic wedges) and forgot about it... Upon leaving I was stopped at a light with someone asking me to roll down the passenger window... I did and was told that I had a "problem" with one of my rear trailer tires... I crossed the road and pulled over to check it out and my tire pressure alarm went off telling me I had low tire pressure on a rear tire... Upon checking there was a bubble on the inside of the tire which told the pressure sensor that I was in trouble... I had Good Sam come out and change the tire with my spare and then drove the 125 miles home slowly since I had no spare... Upon arriving home I realized that I had tire tread separation on three tires (only good tire on the road was the spare)... That is when a light bulb went off.. The reason that the "Deluxe Chock & Lock" chocks would not fit was because with tire tread separation the diameter of the tires had increased so the preset chocks would not fit... That is why I now have Sailun tires on my 5th wheel... Moral of the Story.... If something changes ASK WHY! In this case I should have realized right away that something was wrong... I was lucky enough to catch my Towmax tires before they got me... BUT I should have caught it right away if I was on my toes and not tired from traveling....

wdk450

What? I unhitched, level with the landing gear, put the rear stabilizers down put the xchocks on and then run the slides out. I'm not sure what order you go in and am confused by what you're asking.

i use wheel chocks (the yellow ones) prior to unhooking. I paraphrased from the instructions. They make the recommendation of not tightening until level as it may damage the chocks so I guess you will have to take that up with them but the main purpose of them is anti shake not to keep the trailer from rolling down a hill.

I DON't use the yellow outside wheel chocks - just the between the (yellow) between wheel chocks. So if I didn't have my between the wheels chocks tightly in place before pulling the truck open hitch forward to unhitch, I risk something catching and pulling the trailer and the front landing gear off of its 2 sets of leveler piles. So my routine is now to install the chocks before unhitching, tighten them as best I can, unhitch the truck, level front to back, put down the rear stabilizers, and then re-tighten the between the wheel chocks.

Lynn1130

I guess whatever works for you is good. I have found that the yellow thingies keep the trailer from moving while I do the rest.

Just for info. I lift the trailer so that the pin is free and just above the base and then unlatch. I then ease forward, gently and slowly, so that should something catch it will jerk the truck enough to warn me. I have never had an issue with anything "catching". If I would pull the landing gear off of the blocks, I am going way too fast.

danemayer

When I unhitch, I raise the front until the hitch plates just barely separate. Then I open the hitch. At that point there's nothing connecting the truck and trailer. Sometimes as the hitch jaws open, the truck may rock forward about an inch - depends on how much pressure was on the jaws. The trailer is held steady by the front landing gear and never moves. I disconnect the cables and pull the truck forward. Nothing is pulling the trailer.

Most of the time, this is on relatively level sites. At home, the slope is steeper - maybe an 6-8" drop at the wheels. Still, no trailer movement.

Our rig is pretty heavy up front. Maybe that helps.

Mrsfish

You know, maybe it really doesn't make a difference on these heavy rigs whether you put your chocks on before or after you unhitch- BUT I have this vivid image of my 14k lb 5th wheel rolling away from me and I'm never going to take that chance!!! LOL