BH 3055-2007 duramax 3/4 T classic-adding spring leaves

patrick1945

I just met a fellow BG 3055 owner who drives a 2003 duramax 3/4 ton. He has pulled it 45K in the first 3 years.

He suggested that I have 2 leaf springs added to each side in the rear (duh). I have pulled my new 3055 for 500 miles without problem.

What experiences/opinions are out there?

todalake

I did something similar by adding Supersprings. Others go with air bags but I didn't want to mess around with adding air and possible leaks. It doesn't squat as much when the trailer is added.

grizzlygiant

You might consider Timbrens. They give you the needed boost when you hit a bump or a dip but otherwise do not change the ride, with or without the trailer. They work great on my Dodge 2500.

jnbhobe

If your truck sits level and handles good there is no need to add springs. But if it sags in the rear then consider adding leaves or timbrins if you don't like the idea of air bags. Jon;););)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Adding springs may cause the truck to ride a bit stiffer when not towing. As said by others, Air Bags or Timbrens would be a better choice. Also, a stiffer ride will be harder on the trailer and it's contents as well. Air Bags would actually soften the ride. I prefer individual lines for each bag. More stability.

azbound

Prior to buying my 3500 DRW I had an 05 Chev 2500HD. I added the Air Bags and went all the way with the on-board compressor and gauge. A bit pricey but it work wonderfully for me I would recommend you give this a thought.

kitfoxii

Chuck & Kay Keskimaki
I had airbags with an on-board air compressor on a previous truck. I currently have Timbrens on my 2001 2500HD duramax, they are much easier, a passive suspension upgrade that only comes into play when the trailer is connected to the truck. I've had mine on the truck for 5 or 6 years and during that time I've pulled the Bighorn and the ALFA Sun I owned before the 3055 10's of thousands of miles. They still look and perform like new.

Timbrens replace the bump stops on the rear axle. Installation is very easy, remove the bump stops and bolt the Timbrens in place of them. They don't change the ride of the truck when it is unloaded since the axle must be displaced ~ 3/4 inch before it contacts the Timbrens. With the extra weight of the pin on the rear axle the gap is closed and the Timbrens do there thing. That's it--install them and the work is done.

They are available online from truckspring.com.

Chuck Keskimaki
New 2010 3055RL Bighorn
Old 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD D/A Longbed, BD exhaust brake (115K+ miles, half pulling 5er's all over North America.