Big Horn and Big Country - 2 of our choices

whitneykt

We have been looking for almost a year for an RV to go full time in this year . . hopefully by July 23rd. After all that time, we have FINALLY narrowed it down to 6 5th Wheels. One of them being the Heartland Big Horn 3750FL or the Big Country 4011 ERD. We are hoping to finalize our choice within the next week or two. We got a contract on the house, option period is up on the 19th and we're putting a deposit on an apartment to be held until the 1st of April. BUT, if we can make our decision before that and get it purchased (hopefully not having to order one), then we'll get it and move straight in the RV even tho we have commitments here until July.

If you have . . . or have had . . . this model, can you tell me some pros and cons about it? Any information you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated. Here are a few questions that I do have some concern about:

1) the back storage under the Den . . . because it's not very tall, do you find it really hard to get to things? What do you store back there? I'm thinking tables/chairs, fishing poles, brooms/mops and narrow plastic bins. Can't think of much else that would fit there.

2) Is the bathroom too small to manauver around when you are a little 'fluffy'?

3) Are the bedrooms drawers barely worthless?

4) Is the living room furniture comfortable or really hard?

5) Do you have the new stove/oven combo? If so, how do you like it?

As I said . . . if there is anything you LOVE or HATE about it, please share.

Thank you so much!

danemayer

Hi whitneykt,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly.

SNOKING

Do you really want to go down stairs to the bathroom if you get up in the night. Also heard that FL can be overly warm in the hot weather(Bighorn).

The Big Country has a very low carrying capacity of less than 1800 pounds. Bighorn 3750FL is a little better at 2,300 CC. We have used up most of our 3K CC with our Bighorn 3575el, which we really like and have been living in for the last 7-8 months.

I see little use of the two couches and the theater seating as a full time couple in both the units. I would ditch one of the couches for a computer desk.

Unless the factory will install 17.5 wheels and tires and up the GVWR to create more CC, I would look at different models.

Support from Heartland is top notch!

Chris

mashfam1

We have been looking for almost a year for an RV to go full time in this year . . hopefully by July 23rd. After all that time, we have FINALLY narrowed it down to 6 5th Wheels. One of them being the Heartland Big Horn 3750FL or the Big Country 4011 ERD. We are hoping to finalize our choice within the next week or two. We got a contract on the house, option period is up on the 19th and we're putting a deposit on an apartment to be held until the 1st of April. BUT, if we can make our decision before that and get it purchased (hopefully not having to order one), then we'll get it and move straight in the RV even tho we have commitments here until July.

If you have . . . or have had . . . this model, can you tell me some pros and cons about it? Any information you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated. Here are a few questions that I do have some concern about:

1) the back storage under the Den . . . because it's not very tall, do you find it really hard to get to things? What do you store back there? I'm thinking tables/chairs, fishing poles, brooms/mops and narrow plastic bins. Can't think of much else that would fit thh We find the back storage great - being behind the wheels, you aren't adding pin weight

2) Is the bathroom too small to manauver around when you are a little 'fluffy'?The bathroom is actually very roomy - like any RV space, using it to its full advantage is a must! Shower area there is ample room (have some fluff here too) Haven't had any issues with space at all

3) Are the bedrooms drawers barely worthless?When we originally purchased our BigHorn 3755FL this was also a concern of mine....however they are very handy - easily accessible

4) Is the living room furniture comfortable or really hard Very comfortable......have had more than 1 Guest use the sofa rather than the extra bed and they have been very comfortable.

5) Do you have the new stove/oven combo? If so, how do you like it? We have only used the Convection Micro - LOVE IT

We are extremely happy with our BigHorn - it is very comfortable, ample space, love the storage space, love the Coat Closet. The bedroom is decent sized - can easily dress, make the bed, etc without feeling squeezed. As I have MS, moving around can be a struggle, but really have found our RV well suited The quality is great, and any issues we have had, Heartland has dealt with efficiently and effectively. Really happy with the Front Living - feels more spacious and room for Guests
Never a regret!

Thank you so much!
​You are most welcome!

uncledon

Her chauffeur

1) the back storage under the Den . . . because it's not very tall, do you find it really hard to get to things? What do you store back there? I'm thinking tables/chairs, fishing poles, brooms/mops and narrow plastic bins. Can't think of much else that would fit there.

Anytime you have "pass thru" storage, tall or not, there is the question of accessing stuff. The difference with the taller storage areas is you can install the MorRyde sliding trays to assist. You will find that there will always be compromise involved no mater which floor plan you decide on. You will figure out what stuff goes best where. Putting stuff in cheap plastic totes serves at least a couple good purposes...easier to keep stuff sorted and accessible, and keeps "critters" out of stuff.

2) Is the bathroom too small to manauver around when you are a little 'fluffy'?

The bath in the both units are a bit tight, but once again you have to determine a priority for everything you consider because of the "compromise factor". What you take here, you have to give there, eventually in every floor plan. The shower is the bigger consideration in my book. Our current BH has the neo angled shower and our upgrade coming in a year will NOT have one. The storage for towels, etc. seems a bit better in the 4011 to us.

3) Are the bedrooms drawers barely worthless?

Many front bedrooms have pretty shallow drawers at the foot of the bed. They serve a purpose but you do have to consider what that will be in your individual situation. Generally, you lose the taller closet in the front cap in trade for more drawers like you see in the front living models with the bedroom in the rear. We don't see either as a big deal in choosing.

4) Is the living room furniture comfortable or really hard?

I have to pass on this one as we don't own either of these and I can't recall in all our "walk thrus" which furniture was most comfortable.

5) Do you have the new stove/oven combo? If so, how do you like it?

Not sure which "new" combo you mean, so no comment on this.

As was mentioned if doing stairs is an issue then that needs to be prioritized and weighed. Both units have two sets but only one requires use to access the bathroom at night. We like the models that have "seperation" between the kitchen and the living area. The problem we have with the 3750 is the lack of prep counter space in the kitchen. If you don't do a lot of preparation, then that may not be as big a factor for you. Not that it matter in your decision, but I'd go for the 4011 myself. I realize that you were looking for more first-hand advice/opinions, but I have to throw my 2 cents in. :D Hope all works well for your timetable.

Thank you so much!

Welcome!

Nuclearcowboy

We have the 3970RD model Bighorn, so all I can say is that the new stove oven combo (Furrion) is absolutely head and shoulders above the previous stove oven that Heartland used. Try to get that in your rig, no matter what model you go with.

whitneykt

Thank you to everyone who commented on this post. However, we have decided against the Heartlands . . . one was too long and the other we didn't like the kitchen lay out. But I appreciate your help!

CDN

B and B
Hello, I know you have decided against Heartland. Someone else might read this thread be looking as well.

We have spent 3 years looking for the last 5th wheel we want. FR Columbus (discontinued the model we wanted), Liked Grand Design Reflection (Discontinued again) Heartland Big Country (slide in slide bedroom not suitable for us) Back to Columbus new model (poor finishes turned us off), Grand Design Solitude nice but just not right, Columbus another new model no storage.

Brings us to 2 weeks ago, visit the Heartland dealer. Look at the 3575 Elite, were happy. Went home and called back to say yes a couple days later. I did a Pre delivery inspection and found 2 items, switch cover on 12 V lights, front bay door loose screws and stove burner loose. That is it! it is 10 degrees out and we will do a full PDI when we take delivery end of the month.

whitneykt

Hello, I know you have decided against Heartland. Someone else might read this thread be looking as well.

We have spent 3 years looking for the last 5th wheel we want. FR Columbus (discontinued the model we wanted), Liked Grand Design Reflection (Discontinued again) Heartland Big Country (slide in slide bedroom not suitable for us) Back to Columbus new model (poor finishes turned us off), Grand Design Solitude nice but just not right, Columbus another new model no storage.

Brings us to 2 weeks ago, visit the Heartland dealer. Look at the 3575 Elite, were happy. Went home and called back to say yes a couple days later. I did a Pre delivery inspection and found 2 items, switch cover on 12 V lights, front bay door loose screws and stove burner loose. That is it! it is 10 degrees out and we will do a full PDI when we take delivery end of the month.

I love everything about that one withthe exception of the living vs kitchen layout. We like theseparation between them that a “DEN” model gives us and reallyprefer the raised DEN because it gives us additional storage. BUT ILOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything else. I was really hoping to get a BigHorn because I do love the look of them and we are buying a RAMtruck. LOL!!!! Have fun in yours! Maybe we'll meet on the road some day and I can come enjoy yours by PROXY. :)