Big Horn Hydraulic Leaks

MD Buck

Last May we upgraded our 2010 Bighorn to a 2015 Bighorn 3685 Rl (vin #5SBFBG3828FE285714). As soon as I took the unit home and was packing it I noticed a hydraulic line bubble in the front compartment. Since then, we have had two other lines replaced under warranty with similar bubbles near the connection fitting. On May 12th we returned to the dealer to have the last line replaced since the unit was going out of warranty. We left the dealer and drove 450 miles heading to our summer destination and set up for the night and when we woke in the morning the unit was out of level and upon checking another hose had bubbled near the fitting and busted. Has Heartland had a problem with it's fitting machine causing this problem on my unit and possibly others? I'm going to try to replace the line myself since the unit just went out of warranty and there is no dealers close to our location.

Thank you for your information,

William Teach

danemayer

Hi William,

You should probably call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. It's very likely that Heartland will fix it even though just out of warranty. They also may be able to point you to a service location nearby.

jbeletti

William - I also suggest you speak to Heartland and seek reimbursement for your out-of-pocket cost on the hose you are having done. There's a good chance they'll cover it. Sounds like a like a worn die or calibration issue in the crimper.

wdk450

Does Heartland crimp the hoses, or does Lippert do that? I am wondering about the quality of the hoses if you have bubbling. If I was worrying about the quality of the hoses, I would think about replacements BETTER than original made by a local hydraulic hose fabricator.
I hope other owners of your manufacture period chime in if they too have had hydraulic hose problems. Maybe it was 1st day on the job for the guy who made yours.

FARMER45

I have had to replace two hoses, being a framer I knew the tractor house could build me a new hose, that is many times better and probably for less money. Takes about ten minutes

EOneal59

I've had to replace 3 lines for the same reason on my 2015 BH 3570RS and also 1 jack with a bad seal under warranty

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've had to replace 3 lines for the same reason on my 2015 BH 3570RS and also 1 jack with a bad seal under warranty

What did the jack with a bad seal look like or what problems did it exhibit?

Trying to determine if we have any issues, since our rig is new and have never had Level-up before.

avvidclif

Take a facial tissue and wipe the leg. If it's wet it's leaking. The only thing you should get is a bit of semi-greasy dirt.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just a little food for thought here. This may or may not be related to your suspect leak.
A couple of years ago I had a leak on one of my jacks. I always had to wipe the puddle of pink fluid from the foot pad.
It looked to me like the lower banjo bolt was leaking. So I took it out only to discover that the replacement I had in hand was a different size.
Put it back together with the same old bolt and it hasn't leaked since.
Go figure.
I guess maybe if there is a suspect leak at the jack put a wrench on the bolts and make sure they are tight.

Peace
Dave