Bighorn Carrying Capacity

Wadosan

Hi all,

The wife and I are getting serious about the purchase of our next 5th wheel. We've narrowed within the Heartland brand to the Bighorn. My question is the two floor plans we like (3575EL & 3675EL) have listed carrying capacities of just under 3000# and 2500# respectively. These figures are, I'm pretty certain, before any options are added. We would be adding several options so I think these capacities would be reduced even more. I've always held in my mind that I'd want at least 3000# carrying capacity since we will eventually be close to full-timing (6-months out of the year). Am I worrying too much about this? :confused:

CDN

B and B
Hello

We just purchased our new Bighorn 3575EL in March. We have the coffered ceiling and most other options, Norcold Fridge. I can confirm we have 3100 lbs CCC including 600 lbs allowance for fresh water. Leaves us 2500 lbs left.

When we loaded the new trailer I weighed everything that was going in it and we have 1000 left for clothes and food after eveything else (dishes, BBQ, GMG Smoker, AC cords, tools, camp stove, 4 chairs, portable tables, electric appliances, computers, pot and pans, cast iron collection for fire cooking, axe, hatchet, buck saw, camp rake, follding shovel, . 20 b propane etc)

Brian

Wadosan

Hello

We just purchased our new Bighorn 3575EL in March. We have the coffered ceiling and most other options, Norcold Fridge. I can confirm we have 3100 lbs CCC including 600 lbs allowance for fresh water. Leaves us 2500 lbs left.

When we loaded the new trailer I weighed everything that was going in it and we have 1000 left for clothes and food after eveything else (dishes, BBQ, GMG Smoker, AC cords, tools, camp stove, 4 chairs, portable tables, electric appliances, computers, pot and pans, cast iron collection for fire cooking, axe, hatchet, buck saw, camp rake, follding shovel, . 20 b propane etc)

Brian

Brian,

Appreciate your input very much. The 3575 is one of the floor plans we're considering but the wife is concerned about the lack of a pantry and where to store pot/pans/dry/canned goods, etc. The 3675 is almost identical except a few feet longer (in the kitchen) and has a pantry so that is the floor plan we're currently leaning towards but the CCC is about 500# less. But it seems like you're carrying about what I would carry and don't seem to have any issues approaching the max CCC.

Wade

Mrz

Wade - we have the 3575EL and before we purchased it we wanted the pantry. After speaking with others we discovered that items in the pantry were always falling over and you had to use containers which really defeated the overall capacity of the pantry. So we went with the 3575 EL and never looked back. Really, really happy with this floor plan.

Alan_B

We have the 3570RS with pantry. Yes, we do have to organize some smaller items in bins or baskets to ride better during transit.

So far this is not an issue and we are happy we have the pantry.

SNOKING

We have had our 2017 3575el for just over a year now. Can goods go in the bottom drawer to the left of the stove. We love the butler's pantry area/counter.

We have lived in it for most of the last year, and there is little we would change. It has been to Arizona and back. Loaded heavy we are still under 16k. No washer/
Dryer, and a few hundred under 16k. Chris

Wadosan

Wade - we have the 3575EL and before we purchased it we wanted the pantry. After speaking with others we discovered that items in the pantry were always falling over and you had to use containers which really defeated the overall capacity of the pantry. So we went with the 3575 EL and never looked back. Really, really happy with this floor plan.

Thanks Mrz. Hadn't thought of that occurring. Will bring this up with the wife and see what she says.

We have the 3570RS with pantry. Yes, we do have to organize some smaller items in bins or baskets to ride better during transit.

So far this is not an issue and we are happy we have the pantry.

Thanks Alan B. We could probably live with doing the same in a pantry but we really like the 3575el length over the 3675 length. Two feet isn't a big deal but I have this mental block at 40 ft. :p

We have had our 2017 3575el for just over a year now. Can goods go in the bottom drawer to the left of the stove. We love the butler's pantry area/counter.

We have lived in it for most of the last year, and there is little we would change. It has been to Arizona and back. Loaded heavy we are still under 16k. No washer/
Dryer, and a few hundred under 16k. Chris

Thanks SNOKING. Where do you put pots and pans?

Mrz

Think about overall length very carefully. If you notice, whenever you try to make reservations at a campground one of the first questions is "how long is your RV". We've found that staying under 40' works real we as far as space and for finding our parking space.

SNOKING

Thanks Mrz. Hadn't thought of that occurring. Will bring this up with the wife and see what she says.

Thanks Alan B. We could probably live with doing the same in a pantry but we really like the 3575el length over the 3675 length. Two feet isn't a big deal but I have this mental block at 40 ft. :p

Thanks SNOKING. Where do you put pots and pans?

To the right of the stove near bottom of cupboard and under the sink on the bottom right according to DW. Chris

Wadosan

Think about overall length very carefully. If you notice, whenever you try to make reservations at a campground one of the first questions is "how long is your RV". We've found that staying under 40' works real we as far as space and for finding our parking space.

Yup would like to stay 40' or under. Our RV port is 40' so under would be better for that.

To the right of the stove near bottom of cupboard and under the sink on the bottom right according to DW. Chris

Thanks.

SNOKING

I think the 500 pound less Carrying capacity is a bigger deal than the length. Then again as I said earlier we would not give up the full Butlers pantry counter. Chris